I can't get into secondlife

Parrothead58

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I had the problem with getting in, I can log in but can;t get in.  It states I need 32 bit and I have 64 bit,  But the answer sent

was for windows 7, I have Windows Vista service pk 2.  Anything I can do?   I HATE VISTA TOO!

I log in, I get welcomed, but when I try to go anyplace I get an error after I get a box asking permission to run.  I can manuver all ocer I just cant go into or go to any site.     

4 answers to this question

It doesn't make any difference whther you have a 64-bit or a 32-bit operating system.  SL works just as well with Windows 7 as it does with Vista and XP.  Your  problem is something else.  However, I don't know what you mean by saying that you can "log in" but not "get in." They are the same thing.  Do you mean that the log in process stalls or kicks you out before it finishes?  You cn add more information to your question by clicking on the Options link in its upper right corner and selecting Edit.

One common problem is an intermittent connection, usually at the router.  Try rebooting both the router and your modem by unplugging them for a couple of minutes and thn plugging them back in.  If you're on wireless, change to a direct cable connection instead.  Many people have a hard time staying logged in and rezzing properly when they are on wireless.  It's just not stable enough in many cases.  Finally, because you may be having a firewall problem, read this thread to see what to do about it >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_do_I_configure_my_software_firewall_%28such_as_Norton_Internet_Security,_McAfee_Personal_Firewall,_or_ZoneAlarm%29

SL will work on a 64 bit Vista or 7 machine just fine.  I run it routinely on my x64Win7Pro with 6Gig of ram, and never have so much as a lick of trouble with it. 

I can't say much about Vista, cept I detest it.  But I know that the SLviewer2 works perfectly on my x32XPpro, the x64Win7pro, AND the x32Win7Home machines.  I've seen people with your problem before though, and their issue was with their firewalls or with their DNS settings.  (apparently most cable companies have really bad DNS servers which are poorly suited to gaming and accessing game servers.)  I use google DNS in my router and I don't have any issues at all accessing SL.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.