Boating

Nakisha13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm happily boating along exploring the water ways in my little boat when unexpectedly greeted with a ban line that unseats me and returns my boat to my inventory. =( Why can't it be so that your simply bumped away so you are able to work your way around the ban line then continue on? 

Yes its really annoying when that happens. I think it depends on the security orbs that are used.

I also think some people get a kick out setting their land land this way.

Recently a new "neighbor " ......term used loosely....of mine has their water plot set so that when I sail out of my harbour I get dumped ... Charming.

Indeed, it happens.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do against it. Some people are more possessive than others.

But i have good news for you too. We have a marina where you are always welcome to rezz your boat. It is near open waters and the vast Blake Sea so it wil give you hours of pleasure.

Off course, other  boat enthusiasts are welcome too.

Here is the link: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Tschotcke/115/77/23/

Enjoy!

On waterfront locations, I think the security orb thing is more an entertainment for the person who placed it than a request for anyone to turn away made in good faith.  The only ones I've ever run into have been 10 seconds, and turning something like a wind-driven boat around in that length of time isn't likely to be possible. 

Some sort of visible indication that an area is private to the point of the owner not wanting anyone to even pass too close to it would be nice.  But that is probably unlikely to happen.  It's worse in planes and etc, since you're often going fast enough that there's pretty much no way to turn in time to keep from hitting a banline.  

On the bright side, it isn't painful or anything.  You just have to find someplace to rez another ship and go on, giving the place you got bounced from a very wide berth.  That's a pity, since it was often a really nice part of the scenery.  I have no interest in trespassing on places where they don't want people going through, I'm usually just sightseeing and some place obviously had a lot of time and expense go into making it look great and I don't find out they don't want anyone near it until I'm already too close.  That's just the way it is, though.  It's their place.  About all you can do is to be very polite when you happen to meet the owner of a place that does allow people to boat or fly or walk through, and compliment them on their creativity and taste.

I think boat user's hate of people with banlines would convert down to an annoyance if the darn things would just bounce you off rather than deseat you, send your boat one way, and you to 0,0,0 - and then log you out...

Parcels adjacent to linden owned land should have the banlines option disabled.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Parcels adjacent to linden owned land should have the banlines option disabled.

I'd vote for that, or for getting rid of banlines entirely. They're mostly useless anyway. A security device does a better job and can (should) be set to a reasonable interval before ejection.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.