LSL Forum?

NicholasKulp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there currently an external forum dedicated to LSL?  If not, do you think one could survive?  I feel as though that would be more helpful as there could be divisions for each aspect of scripting: Weapons, AI, Gadgets, External DB, Security, Animation, etc.  And then maybe a debug section, newbie section, scripting classes announced, so on and so forth. 

Thoughts? 

there are two other major forums besides this one that deal in LSL... SLUniveverse and Second Citizen, and maybe a dozen more that operate on a smaller scale. the inworld groups are often good for finding a little 1on1 help, or short specific answers.

do I think another one would survive? honestly, it'd be difficult.

What do you think would be the benefits of asking any particular question in an external forum rather than here, given that this is almost certainly the largest and most active forum?    Certainly any question I've had over the last three or four years that I've brought here has been answered very rapidly and helpfully.

Oh thanks!  I hadn't found those forums yet!

Idk, I just think when theres a specific forum its more of a community rather than a Q & Answer board.  I haven't been on these forums long but I've been a member of a lot of other forums and the 'non official' forums are always more friendly and the users have relationships since they see a lot of the same people in different discussions both on and off of topic.  They get to know each other better.

like any forum, there are sections that are more conversational (general discussion), and more topic focused (like LSL scripting).

that doesn't mean that conversation isn't allowed in this particular section (I  miss some of the original boards conversations) but it does mean that they'll always be more focused on the topic of scripting.

these boards suffered a huge hit and a rather large exodus of people when the software it was run on was changed, and didn't provide the needed features or ease of use any more... the current software is a change up from that, but I feel like we're still recovering, so mostly we get q&a type stuff.

we used to have all sorts of programming related discussions, and I know I would more than welcome having them again.

Void Singer wrote:

we used to have all sorts of programming related discussions, and I know I would more than welcome having them again.

Me too. We don't often get chatty here, but I think of the forum regulars as friends and am always pleased to see when two or more of us chime in on a challenge.  Even better, when one of us poses a knotty problem that the rest of us wish WE had asked.

I really miss the old, old forums too, but I agree that starting yet another forum isn't the way to get that atmosphere back.    Certainly over at SLU, where a lot of the old Scripting Tips regulars ended up, the "Scripting Tips" part of the forum is like this, only quieter.  

We do discuss scripting-related matters quite frequently at SLU, but something like, to take a recent example, a discussion of vendors and security issues will tend to happen in SLU's general SL discusson section than in the Scripting section because of the dynamics of the place -- SLU's general section is where someone will naturally start a thread about how  "I think someone tried to hack my network vendors because..." so that's where the the SLU scripting regulars will naturally chime in and end up discussing how to make vendors that are immune to such attacks.

And, while I really enjoy the place, I'm the first to agree that SLU isn't to everyone's taste.

Is that where they went?  I look at SLU's Scripting section every once in a while, but it's pretty dead.  I figured that the SLU crowd just didn't attract many active scripters.  Not that I need another group (I like it right here), but it's nice to know that people are still alive over there.  :smileytongue:

Yes, it took me a while to get the hang of it.   People often ask scripting-related questions there in Content Creation or Project Development, too, but the actual discussions are very often in the General SL forum (or the BDSM forum for stuff like RLV and particle chains).   

I think Cristiano set up the actual Scripting Tips forum as a home for us all, if we decided to give up on the official forums altogether when that Jive nonsense was introduced.   That's not happened, obviously, but there's a lot of very active scripters over at SLU, including some old pals from the old, old forum like Argent, Jopsy and Qie.  Jesse Barnett used to post there a lot, but I've not seen her lately.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.