UV Mapping and texture size

Madeliefste Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For texturing I like to work on a big canvas, because you can always shrink back in size without loosing quality. Now I made a UV Map on a 2048 x 2048 canvas. When I upload the image to SL as a 1024 x 1024 texture the texture fits perfect on the mesh (the fan in the back). But now when I shrink to size back to 512 x 512 the UV map doesn't fit the mesh anymore (the fan in the front), but it includes the outline of the UVmap.

UVMappingTexturesize.jpg

Is this a bug? Or what is happening here?

Usually you will not have UV-outlines on your final texture. To avoid this sort of problem you can typically specify a margin, which ensures that the colors of your texture at the map borders will be propagated a bit into the not used parts of your UV-texture.

In Blender look at the Render properties -> Bake

Right under the Bake button you find the Margin settings. I have it set to 6 (pixels)

When UV texturing, I find it is good practice to slightly overfill beyond outline borders of each piece, to avoid this specific problem. When the texture maps are resized, often the anti-aliasing effect will cause the fringeing effect seen in your examples here (the slight mixing of colours in the "smoothing" involved in reducing an image size).

By texturing a few pixels outside the dimensions of each piece in the UV layout, this tends to remove the problem.

I am fairly sure this is the case happening here - I hope this helps for you :matte-motes-smile:

• 2 weeks later...

So this is a common issue with games using mip maps

My personal recommendation when trying to solve combat this is to install the photoshop filters that come with a popular texture baking application called xNormal. http://www.xnormal.net/

When you do the installation you don't actually need to install xNormal itself (I use it alot though :D) and can just install the photoshop filters.  The filter "Dilation" basically takes the pixels on the edges of your UV islands, stretches, and blurs them off the sides by however many pixels you set it to. Provided your textures are their own layer and seperated from the background. This should combat the wierd edge seam issues. :D

rock2_example.jpg

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.