llTargetOmega question

Betty Bishop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, the "radians per second" in the llTargetOmega specification looks promising for a clock, but in reality that number is more like a limit. The viewer does not really try at all to maintain this rate, it is happy to slow it down when it has other work to do, and that happens often. You will get much better results with the conventional rotation nudge on a timer.

llTargetOmega is a client-side effect, so each person potentially sees a different thing on his/her own viewer, depending on how continuously the effect is updated by their graphics card.  The only way to make a clock's hands keep reliable time is to move them with llSetLocalRot or llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast .  Even then, it's smart to resync the rotation with llGetUnixTime often, because the sim's servers, too, can hiccup and lose time.

I know that the TargetOmega effect is viewerside and variable. I spent significant trial and error the other day to arrive at -.066655, PI_BY_TWO for close to 60 sec. but that is 65 today. Viewer slowdowns notwithstanding, I was hoping for someone with more math skills than I to point out the exact rate and gain. At least I could take comfort in knowing the script was accurate if not the end result.

gain should match rate... gain is how many rad/sec it speeds up to the limit of rate.

you can maintain mostly smooth rotation and correct for slowdowns by every so often stopping omega, changing the physical rotation and restarting omega... it'll rotate smoothly then jump at the update if it needs to.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.