Full perms meshes - downloadable?

Madeliefste Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When you make a mesh full perms and give it away or sell it, Is the receiver able, in whatever way, to download the mesh from SL to his computer?

I didn't see any option to do so, but I might have overlooked some thing.

And storages proggies like Second Inventory, how do they handle mesh?

Before I decide how I'm going to handle the whole thing, I just want to be sure if it's downloadable in any way or not. 

I think this is a complete different situation then with sculpty maps, which are only usefull in SL or third party grids based on SL code. 3D models have a much wider use then only in SL. I'm trying to make up my mind about how I must handle this copyright wise.

On the one hand I think I want the model to stay in SL. I can offer well layout UV maps for people to work with for texturing.
On the other hand I think there are interesting developments going on when it comes to 3D painting. And why not give other residents in SL the possibility to paint directly on my models?

I find it hard to decide where to draw a line between protecting my rights and giving others the freedom to create with help of my products.

When you look just at painting meshes there is a lot more freedom.  I could for example offer that people can paint their own style of fox using the UV map of my fox, and then they'd have a one of a kind pet. In future, I might run such a service for the creative minds out there :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

The creative minds are my current customers. Except for sculpts I offer them the Photoshop files that are build up in several layers to work with. It is highly appreciated and I have a lot of returning customers. Sometimes people show me their products and I see the most wonderfull things and creative use of my sculpts. For me it's highly fascinating that an object I made comes in the hands of a second creator who adds his own ideas en interpretation to it and I find it very stimulating to work in this segment of the market.

cYo Mesh is going to operate in the same style as cYo Sculpts. Next to the models we will offer the UV maps and some example texures, and then it's to the rest of the creative community to add their own ideas and their own handwriting and make it part of their creation.

One well known sculpt creator (and partner) started a mesh group a while back, with a join fee of 5000L, IIRC. Only vetted group members will be able to buy from him and partner.  I don't know if they plan to sell the .dae files or not.

For some things, I don't care if I can mod or not -- I don't care if everybody and his dog is selling that exact same thing. They are just simple things I can either use as a loss leader or give as a gift. I do see entire stores selling quite nice looking things that anyone can buy on the MP, so not implying these are inferior -- just not exclusive.

For other things, I usually want to be able to mod things to suit my needs -- and am more than willing to pay a premium.  I suspect I am not the only one, either -- probably a lot of us do not want to make mesh unless we have to, due to time constraints, but we do want to sell distinctive things that reflect our taste and vision.  So I like to be able to buy things I can take into Blender and modify.  I will also probably investigate buying licenses to sell 3D models already available outside of SL, but those I expect to be quite expensive -- and perhaps not well optimized for SL.

Thanks for your feedback, Pamela. I will keep it in mind. 

Buying models on sites like Renderosity and such for your SL business won't be easy. I'm not an expert on buying models, but as far as I have seen most of them come with a licenses that restricts further distribution. So you can buy them, and probably you can upload them to SL, but that is about it... you will be end user of the model, cause you are not allowed to spread copies.

Apart from that prim count will be a big issue. The majority of the models that are not designed for SL will be much to prim heavy for use in SL.

The mesh asset format which is stored on the Second Life system, and then delivered to viewers, is different than the .dae file(s) which you upload.  Currently there is no way to save it so others can use it externally.  You would need to supply the original file, if you want them to have that, or PSD templates as you do now for the UV mapping so they can do custom textures.

Where there is a problem, there will be found a solution.
Someone will no doubt make a site especially for transfering mesh products wholesale. i.e. Full permissons.

A  mesh warehouse does not have to sell only to SL. Like Turbosquid and many others, they can sell to anyone and as such make money by taking a cut of sales.

On Turbosquid, a decent car is about $100... but would SL residents pay that much for the same thing which would be optimised for SL, I think it's worth more with the extra work needed to make a renderable mesh into a game object but $100?

Thanks for the info, Daniel

Rage Riptide wrote:

Where there is a problem, there will be found a solution.

Someone will no doubt make a site especially for transfering mesh products wholesale. i.e. Full permissons.

A  mesh warehouse does not have to sell only to SL. Like Turbosquid and many others, they can sell to anyone and as such make money by taking a cut of sales.

On Turbosquid, a decent car is about $100... but would SL residents pay that much for the same thing which would be optimised for SL, I think it's worth more with the extra work needed to make a renderable mesh into a game object but $100?

When you are a mesh maker and you have no clients and no idea how to market your products a site like Turbosquid is good for you. They bring you the clients you are not able to get on your own, and for that you pay them a percentage of your sales.

But why should I pay this percentage when I'm the one who brings in my own clients for my models? I rather like the idea to have my own e-commerce site where as an adittional service my SL customers can by the orginals. (At least if I decide to sell those originals, I'm still not sure about this). The other advantage of your own site in stead if using Turbosquid is that I could offer the possibility to pay in Linden dollars, which Turbosquid cannot do ofcourse.

Nyx Linden wrote:

Full permissions does not imply that you are allowed to export the content outside of Second Life...

... Except the original content creator has explicitly granted the rights to use the content outside of Second Life.

That maybe a little bit picky, but i guess it is important to mention that ALL rights on content created in and for Second Life are owned by the original content creator... Is this still correct, Nyx, or has the Second Life content ownership agreement been changed ?

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

When you make a mesh full perms and give it away or sell it, Is the receiver able, in whatever way, to download the mesh from SL to his computer?

Yes.  To display anything on the internet, it has to be downloaded first.  Second Life cannot violate real-world physics.

DanielRavenNest Noe wrote:

The mesh asset format which is stored on the Second Life system, and then delivered to viewers, is different than the .dae file(s) which you upload.  Currently there is no way to save it so others can use it externally.  You would need to supply the original file, if you want them to have that, or PSD templates as you do now for the UV mapping so they can do custom textures.

Or just rip it from your system's video RAM and map it to whatever format you want.  The problem with DRM is that it assumes there's no analog hole.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Or just rip it from your system's video RAM and map it to whatever format you want.  The problem with DRM is that it assumes there's no analog hole.

What Second Life does is not so much DRM as compiling the upload (which can start as 5 files) into an efficient format for storage and delivery to the viewer.  There isn't much legitimate reason to rip a model from a graphics card.  If the original creator wants you to have a copy, they can send the model to you directly.

DanielRavenNest Noe wrote:

Baloo Uriza wrote:

What Second Life does is not so much DRM as compiling the upload (which can start as 5 files) into an efficient format for storage and delivery to the viewer.  There isn't much legitimate reason to rip a model from a graphics card.  If the original creator wants you to have a copy, they can send the model to you directly.

Understood.  I was simply pointing out that if they're trusting DRM to work, they might as well not bother to start with, as it's only going to be a stumbling block for legitimate users.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.