Scripts double PE...? Really?

Moo Spyker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"I will admit though that one huge advantage of the script tax did occur to me while writing this. It will make a lot of creators include the provision for colour-changing scripts an such things to be deleted once they have been used. Hmm maybe I will have to change my opinion on that."

... Not going to work if the user cannot even rezz the item out if the sims near full which will be all the time with such high PE costs... Cant believe anyone would support something like this even remotely. Think about the other builders here in SL!!!!!!

Drongle McMahon wrote:

You will probably be surprised to hear this. It's complicated and I won't rehearse all the arguments here, but the answer is yes.

Somehow i found the idea that i can link 256 prims all together and pay little more than 128 PE for the linkset a very cool thing. On the other hand giving incentives with your left hand, and taking them away with your right hand (when i add a script to the linkset) is not realy a good idea either.

In that sense i can understand, that you prefer having 1 PE server costs per prim and no extra costs for scripts. Then you can compensate by creating more complex (and bigger) meshes... That could work.

However now due to creating bigger meshes, maybe streaming costs creeps back into play? ... Hmmm... I mentioned elsewhere that the best way to avoid confusion is to give the information. Maybe we have to watch the Wiki and the Blog to see the answers coming in ? Then we can review all of this and understand better, what has been decided ?

You know Catweazle  who mistakes all modern technology for powerful magic ? 'elec-trickery' and the 'telling bone' ... ? It appears to me that maybe we are somehow in a comparable situation ;-) (not enough information to evaluate what we see) ...

DanielRavenNest Noe wrote:

I had argued previously for a simple to understand formula, such as 500 triangles = 1 prim, but that is not what we have.

While I have only looked a little into mesh for SL, this here is what would make the most sense.

Poly counts are not an exact thing, but they are a darned good indicator of how much processing power something will take. Regardless of how complex something may be(save for the most complex of objects perhaps), its shape is still determined by its vertice locations and how they are connected. I was looking forward to seeing mesh come to SL, but they seem like they are going to make sure everyone gets a headache trying to figure things out. I figured that it would mean alot of things could be optimized while still looking good(and thus alot of lag would get reduced), but if they are going to tack on severe penalties for stuff, adoption isnt going to be quite as wide spread as I would have hoped.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.