Again... how can we report an abuse if there's nobody to report!?

Shanhiel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've post a question that was very well answered, but this didn't solve the problem at all.

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I were in a region (I really don't remember the name of the place...) chatting and having fun, as usual.

Suddenly her av began to act weird, the animatons were very weird and in the open chat window "she wrote" (because she said she didn't wrote anything) random letters and there was a weird sound (like someone praying or something, but very very scary)  and began to move as she was possesed.

We both were scared, really, really scared!  We log off immediately.

I really don't have the words... I'm absolutely scared and angry! We began to spend time in SL because we think could be nice and beautiful... and suddeny someone or something make her worship satan!!! The attacks were manageable and we can defend ourself with shields, checking out which places we visit, etc, but that!

We didn't harm anyone and we only have fun together, but that was  just terrible!!

I don't know what we can do or something, but I think I will disactivate my account, but I want to be sure, this don't happen again. So I need an answer to this, I want to know who can fix this, or the way to defend from this things.

Please. 

Thanks. 

3 answers to this question

I agree, that is scary.   Your reaction was exactly what I often recommend that people do when they find themselves in an uncomfortable situation ..... TP home (CTRL + Shift +H) or log off.  When you log back in, you can specify that you want to log in at your home or some other spot instead of your previous location.

It is fairly easy to write a script that creates a scary effect like that.  Animations can be triggered by sitting on some scripted object, and various sounds, images, and chat messages can be triggered by simply walking close to a sensor. It's also possible to put a script like that in a freebie object that you might pick up innocently and then trigger by wearing it. I imagine that someone thought it would be funny, in the same way that people play scary pranks at Halloween or in festivals in some cultures.  Please remember, though, that there is no way that you can be hurt physically in SL. Also, please understand that there is no TOS violation involved in what you described either.

So ... how to defend?  Just leave the area.  TP to someplace else and remember not to go back to that place again.  SL is like RL in that regard.  There are scary places in our world, but there are also beautiful, safe places.  In SL, it is even easier to find the good places and avoid the bad ones than it is in RL.  I hope that you can stay and do that.

• Like 1

Your girlfriend more than likely:

A. is (or was) wearing an attachment of some sort that caused this "behavior";

B. consented in a popup window to having her avatar animated, etc.; or

C. was pulling your leg and was behind the whole thing.

In the first case, she should remove any attachments one by one and see if this "behavior" stops, and also be wary of gifts from strangers.

In the second, she should be mindful of saying "Yes."

In the third... You may want to wring her neck.

In any case, SL is not haunted by ghosts or Satan worshippers. Well... You may find both here, but... IT'S NOT REAL. Really no need to be scared.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.