Confused about Server versions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With all the server hokey-pokey going on  ("In! Out! In! Out! Shake it all about!") I'm not sure just what is what.

I infer that if the build number is the same, the RC label and date in the reported version ID is only of administrative significance.

Could we have a summary of the current state of play, all in one place rather than scattered through Wiki pages and forum posts. 

I follow the Beta Server Group and write about it in my blog. But it is hard for me to keep up with what is going on. I don't even bother with version numbers. They are way too confusing and the wiki that explains them seems out of date.

Qwalyphi Korpov's suggestion to read the Server Deployes forum posts is easy and will give you some idea of what is happening. But, last week and the week before things were going sideways. The guys doing the postings were busy trying to keep SL running. Postings suffered. So, there was not much information coming to us about what was happening.

Of course finding the Deploy information with search in this forum works about as well as Search works in SL. You'll find them in Forum > Technology > Second Life Server. The Deploy post may appear days before the release notes are caught up. I find that I am typically 1 to 2 weeks behind on what is happening with the servers.

One can attend the SL Group meetings but with server issues it is sort of a debreifing about what happened. There is always some information about what is planned or when we will see a bug fix arrive. Most of the good stuff they keep secret.

Some groups are good about posting their minutes. The transcripts of the meetings are hard reading, which I suspect is why my summaries and paraphased articles are popular. Some groups are really bad about posting transcripts and handling their agenda, which residents can put items on.

Some groups fade in and out. The Adult Content group is undergoing some changes and disruption. The Snowstorm Project group is basically dead as Esbee has yet to return to running the group. However, the Server Beta Group is one of the better ones.

I write articles on what is going on with the servers when I find it intersting and can glean some measure of understanding. If you want to catch up, you can see the articles on my blog under The Stuff -> SL Server Related. The last two weeks there hasn't been much to say as versions danced in and out of the Release Channels. I hope to get a new article out tomorrow.

no, different LL.... before the new system there was no way to find out about versions and patches at all.

for the current version number for all server check this page, and follow the link for the higehst first number (11 currently), which will also give you the history of updates.

servers (now) have version numbers in the format <2 digit year>.<2 digit month>.<2 digit day>.<build number> based on when they were compiled (usually when they are released to RC, not main channel)

PS:
it'd be nice if someone made a page that linked only the current year server versions (since they are single pages now) and it'd be even nice if the viewer linked directly to the appropriate page from the about dialog (last I looked it linked in a bit higher)

Maybe a single up-to-date list, with the time for the most recent change. Sort of answering, "Has anything changed since I last logged in."

Something short and simple, that can be updated as part of the routine of a rollout or restart. It is. after all, the sort of information the Lindens should be recording anyway. It's the sort of information that would be useful for the support people--have there been any changes? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.