How to I handle non-server lag issues?

SkyeRyder Varriale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Loads of them.  You are wise to phrase your question with a "non-server" focus.  There are four general sources of lag:

1. Your own computer;

2. Your Internet connection (or more generally, the path from your computer);

3. Design problems generated either by whoever built and scripted the sim or by things that residents carry in with them;

4. Server problems.

Almost all lag problems in SL fall into the first three categories.  Servers do have issues, but not as often as residents do.

Here's a nice place to start reading >>>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lag

When you're done, move on to this one >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/I_have_a_lot_of_lag._How_can_I_improve_performance

I would look for a collision start script that is consuming huge amounts of resources. Right click land, choose "about land" in this area for a list of scripts running there, Remove them one at a time till you find the trouble maker. Block that item form the SIM, it might be an abuse report candidate as well. This smacks of a griever item. Use auto return if you must.

If it's not a script .......... servers run the entire SIM, not just part of it. If it run at all it runs on a server. I'd ask for a SIM restart if this fails ask to move the SIM to another server location. SL has numerous server of several types and I suspect with various software versions running on them all or none of them could be the problem or create a situation that is causing the problem.

Solutions can be complicated sometimes and solution need to be achieved through process and error.

If some people are having problems and others aren't, your instincts are good.  It's probably not a server issue.  It's also probably not a script issue either.  Except in the case of the Mono bug, which is now largely a thing of the past, scripts generally create minimal lag because they have a lower priority on server time than most other functions.  Script time on my own sim is currently averaging over 20ms, yet the sim FPS is 45 and the time dilation is 0.99 -- almost no lag at all. 

Heavy use of physical objects, especially large ones, can create incredible lag.  I once visited a nearly vacant sim on which you could barely move because the owner had two gigantic physical comets orbiting overhead.  Vehicles, physical machines, elevators, and weapons firing projectiles can take their toll.  Physical meagprims are a serious problem, worthy of removal by LL if they find them.  Remember that sims can share servers, and that it's possible to inherit lag that is partly generated elsewhere.

Still, if people have such widely varying experiences with lag, my guess is that a lot of it has to do with their own computers and internet connections.  The wiki pages I refered you to earlier offer suggestions about how to minimize those problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.