All prims rez black in 2.7.4.

Cal Kondo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

All prims rez black in 2.7.4.  Turning off basic shaders brings the color back but SL doesn't look very good with no shaders.

Also.. instant crash if I turn graphics up to ultra.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       M 620  @ 2.67GHz (2660.09 MHz)
Memory: 6005 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 

I can't see a way to reply to Rolig's answer so I'll edit it in here.

Up until this update I've run SL on high or ultra and turned shadows on for taking pics.  I've had no problems in the year I've had this computer.  It's a new issue with the update to 2.7.4.

4 answers to this question

You have discovered the solution, although you clearly don't like it.  Atmospheric shaders, in particular, drastically increase the amount that your graphics card has to render.  Similarly, the ultra setting puts another very heavy load on the card.  Having either of those settings is guaranteed to slow performance and create rendering issues unless you have a very top of the line computer.  Having both of them may cause severe enough heating that it can also damage your graphics card.  If your system is crashing, it's trying to tell you this is a bad idea. If nothing else, you should take care to lift the machine so that it gets proper airflow under and around it.

The AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 is a middle class DirectX 11 graphics card for laptops, at the low end of cards that meet LL's recommended standard.  It just isn't up to the heavy task you are trying to give it.

Hi Cal,

Someone else reported this issue with prims rezzing black under pJira https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-1969 . Although assigned to Runitai Linden, there are no further comments as yet. The reporter is also using an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650. I suggest you add your comments to that Jira.

I haven't yet tried 2.7.4 but I will later. I have an ATI Radeon HD 5850.

It could be a driver issue if Linden Lab has introduced some change in 2.7.4 that affects the graphics display. It can but not always be a good idea to use the latest driver for your card as new drivers can often introduce new bugs and most people seem happy to run a few versions previous to the latest but it may be worth a shot to update yours. AMD provide links to the various laptop manufacturer updates here http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-28041SupportforATIMobility.aspx

Alternatively, uninstall 2.7.4 and go back to the previous viewer 2 until this issue is fixed.

PS: Yes, until the blog is redone, use Options > Edit to add comments.

• Like 2

@Goodguy: That's not a pretty workaround. Be bad enough having to disable atmospheric shaders but basic shaders too...! Would it not be better to use the previous viewer 2.7.2 or a TP viewer till it's sorted.

I just installed 2.7.4 and it's working perfectly on my Windows 7 64-bit desktop system with an ATI Radeon HD 5850 running Catalyst 11.5 so it's not a general ATI problem.

I suspect this is a graphics driver issue and we're seeing it on notebooks fitted with ATI Mobility 5650s using outdated drivers.

My details are:

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz (3910.99 MHz)
Memory: 4087 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1077
OpenGL Version: 4.1.10750 Compatibility Profile Context

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.