How can i continue playing SL if someone was banned on my ip?

SweetWestley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

In first of all, you can contact LL in order to solve that issue, but in other hand that can take a while...

well, i would consider to talk with my internet provider... they can change your IP adress, other alternative consist in instaling a program to change your IP and / or mac adress....

i know that this can sound pretty "hacker convo" but well.... sometimes the fair ppl pay for the mistakes of others, so, in my consciousness i find this legit....

Hope i helped you, 

Anjo

• Like 1

I got to disagree with Anjo.  Yeah is sucks when someone else causes you to loose something.........such as access to SL.  There is an appeals process that is outlined in the email that your family member received when the ban was placed.  Ask that family member to forward it to you.........if he/she won't then I'll say what a jerk.  You can also search the Knowledge Base and Wiki for avenues to straighten out problems like this.  Committing another ToS by circumventing a ban will not help........it will do nothing but hinder any real solution that may be available or even make such a solution impossible.  The problem with bans of any kind for Internet provided services is that there are limited ways to block access..........IP bans, computer hash up bans, MAC address bans and that's about it.  LL has no way of knowing who's behind the keyboard when any avatar is logged in..........they have the username and the associated information for that user.  The IP that LL bans is the public IP that your ISP provides (they have no access to the private IP the ISP assigns to your ISP account (that's protected by law).  They do have information that the viewer reports back to the servers.........they can use that information to ban a single person using the same public IP.  But when there's a router in a home network (or any private network) they can't ban using MAC addresses.  There's not much LL can do except what they do.  Most bans are well deserved..........and LL would be doing every user who follows the rules and stays out of trouble a disservice if they did not ban the ones who deserve it.  Unfortunately some innocents get caught up in someone else's mess............I'd be whacking with a stick myself.

Contact Linden Lab directly and explain the situation.  I'm sure they will try to help in any way they can............but don't get your hopes too high.  LL has a product to protect.............and some 100,000 active or semi-active user to protect too.  Do not circumvent the ban.  Even if you are innocent of the reason this ban was placed, you'll be deserving of the ban that you will get.

• Like 2

The only legitimate thing you could do is move out RL and try again once you were free of your inapporpriate family member.  I am sure that other more convenient, less legitimate, methods (especially if you are unable to move away from the real culprit considering that you and this "family member" are one and the same as is often the case) should be obvious.

As far as legitimate official things go, LL once they place an IP ban is very unlikely to reverse it.  You could try to appeal it, but what assurance would they, or the community at large, have that this "family member" wouldn't simply resort to the same behavoir that got all of you banned in the first place?

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.