Hot Air Balloon running on SLRR?

Willow Danube

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I've made my hot air balloon with pre-made Balloon script in it. This script is modifiable and I'm thinking of adding values that runs along SLRR, LL Roads and Mainland's waterways. I've looked at Wiki but doesn't seem to be one in there for me to add to my script.

What I've done was to dismantle the VRC train so I could read the opensource scripts but with my limited knowledge in scripting, I'm not sure which one is which since they've added other things like prims linkset and camera view positions.

So I'm just going to guess here and paste the scripts part where I assumed were the lines I needed to make my balloon works.

((string   gsSensorTargetName            = "Guide";

float    gfSensorSeekRange             = SENSOR_SEEK_RANGE_DEFAULT;
float    gfSensorScanArc               = 0;
integer  giTravelDirection             = 0;
integer  giFlipRequest                 = 0;
vector   gvWaypointPrior               = ZERO_VECTOR;))

float    gfSpeedPrior                  = 0.00;
float    gfSpeedCurrent                = 0.00;
float    gfSpeedMinimum                = 0.00;
float    gfSpeedMaximum                = 0.00;
float    gfSpeedIncrement              = 0.00;

integer  giStatusPhysical              = FALSE;
integer  giFlagPhantom                 = TRUE;
string   gsStatusDisplayPrior          = "";

integer  giRerailRequest               = TRUE;

string   gsDisplayPrimName             = ENGINEERDISPLAY_PRIM_NAME;
integer  giDisplayPrimLink             = -32768;

integer  giLinkCountRiderless          = 0;
integer  giLinkCountPrior              = 0;
integer  giLinkCountCurrent            = 0;
integer  giLinkGained                  = FALSE;
string   gsRegionCurrentName;
vector   gvRegionCurrentCorner;
integer  giSmokeEnabled                = TRUE;
integer  giSmokeOn                     = TRUE;
integer  giDialogChannel               = PUBLIC_CHANNEL;
key      gkOwnerID                     = NULL_KEY;
key      gkOperatorID                  = NULL_KEY;
key      gkPassengerID                 = NULL_KEY;
integer  giOperatorSeated              = FALSE;
integer  giCameraDynamics              = CAMERA_DYNAMICS_ENABLED;

I'm guessing the ones that are in double brackets are the correct values to add?

ETA: Code correction.... and this: *I'm also planning to add a //Die script or at least something that will 'reset back to installed location' in the event where the pilot/passenger gets unsitted or displaced due to lag or region crossing, etc*

Thanks Void,

The train opensource scripts includes other commands that I would not need for a balloon...So I was thinking if I could crop, copy and paste it into my Ballooon code without adding another script set into it will reduce the script counts.

I also have this idea if I could make it go on auto-pilot somehow, it will give more time for me to chat and take the occasional photos without having to manouver my balloon so much.

Someone suggested that I should just make a phantom but invisible 'train' and linked it to the balloon so now it would look as if my balloon is moving along the railway track. I thought that was briliant,, hehe!

... I'm thinking of adding values that runs along SLRR, LL Roads and Mainland's waterways. 

The VRC train scripts will only help you with the SLRR and other tracks laid to SLRR spec so they contain a "guide" rail prim.  They won't help with other mainland roads and waterways, because the train navigates by following that guide rail prim, which it locates by sensor.  (And to be reasonably efficient, that sensor needs to be short range and geometrically "tight", so I think it kinda needs to be down near track level, not up in the sky where a balloon might be.  Linking might be an option, I suppose, as long as the balloon never wanted to be more than 55m off the ground.)

If it were me, I'd fly the balloon along set paths described by waypoints known to keep it on the SLRR, or on whichever roads and waterways for which I plotted out the waypoints.  (Admittedly, that preference may be partially the result of my having completely mapped waypoints for the SLRR mainline and branches.)

ETA: Code correction.... and this: *I'm also planning to add a //Die script or at least something that will 'reset back to installed location' in the event where the pilot/passenger gets unsitted or displaced due to lag or region crossing, etc*

As long as they stay on Linden rails, roads, or waterways, stranded vehicles will get returned to your Lost&Found folder, not accumulate along the road, because all that land has a reasonable auto return set.  (At least the SLRR does, without fail.)  Unfortunately, I know of no way to cross region borders that is guaranteed to work every single time.  My stuff that does this--thousands of times a day--will occasionally get directed to some unlikely destination a couple of sims distant from where they were trying to move. I must say, however, that this most recent restart seems to have completely fixed this for me, for now.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

So I did my first trial today and used the root prim of the VRC train and linked it to my balloon. It runs okay on the rail track but I definitely need to optimised the code. There are many there that I don't need. At one point I got unsitted and the balloon just dissapeared. I have not seen it in my Lost and Found folder yet.

I'm not that good with setting up waypoints in a script so that would be something that I'll look up in the future. Right now I'm going to learn how to get the configuration right for my balloon.

How many meters do you have your balloon running above the root prim of the VRC train? When you unsit from the VRC train, the train is supposed to stop. 

There is some code about waypoints in the VRC train script. It is in the subroutine called "LocomotiveMoveTo". You input a waypoint and rotation and the train moves to that point. Waypoints are generated in the sensor portion of the script based upon the current position of the train and the detected position of the guide.

• Like 1

It was about 30 meters from the root prim. I made it a little low for the trial purpose. However, it is a weird thing because I always get unsitted at the same region/place even when I'm on a train. The VRC train did not stopped but just dissapeared. Anyway, I just received through my email that LL has returned it back to me.

I will take another look at the script tonight and see if I can mess around with it. I think using waypoints would be better than linking it to a root prim... it creates a 'dragging' effect on my passenger's animation if I ran it, fast.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.