Why not a local server option?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just curious here, when logging into SL, why is there no "Local Server" option for us who would love to create and build offline so we can upload our latest creations when we do log in?

Of course it would be a local only sandboxed server that had no way of letting anyone from the outside world connect other than your local box the client is installed on.

It would seem like a win-win situation for everyone. We wouldn't have to be online to build and save (what if we're traveling?) and LL would save big bucks by not paying for the bandwidth used, perhaps they could pass those savings along to us.

Viable?

Darkness Tigerpaw wrote:

[...] why is there no "Local Server" option [...]

because the viewer only has viewer code in it, and not all the region code... and as a why for that, the viewer code is open source, and the server code is not (never mind that the viewer and the local server would need connections to the asset servers which would expose them at a whole different level). there's also the factor of trying to keep it a cohesive world rather than a showcase that has driven similar decisions.

for the moment the use of a local copy of openSim and the inport/export ability of some viewers is a viable work around.

Void is just hinting at the complexities of running your own server. You're open a boat load of worms.

OpenSim ofers what you are thinking of. OSGrid is an OpenSim grid that is donation funded. You can down load the software and either run it pure stand alone or put it on the grid or Hypergrid. OSGrid provides asset servers and registation servers, if you want to go on the grid. It is an ideal solution for running a SIM at home. DynDNS.org can provide free DNS. I run a 9 region SIM on my home computer.

It takes some study to figure out if you want to run in Windows or Linux. Then you need to decide if you are OK with the simple SQLite or MySQL. Then there is the matter of having assets on OSGrid or local.

I'm just getting started. The virtual world you see in SL is not like a Doom server where things can be P2P. Explore the possibility of OpenSim.

a WAMP or LAMP package helps if you aren't going to just run it locally.... actually it helps period, and gives experience running your own http server... most of them are configured securely enough if you follow the instructions =X

and Nalates is right... it's not something you just drop on your computer and press setup... it's a weekend project at best for the inexperienced

It is possible to run something pretty easily. Just google on simonastick

That's a complete Windows distribution which can run off a USB stick.

Without access to the Asset servers, it's a bit limited. It needs a lot of work to set up an environment, The scripting might be awkwardly different, sometimes. But you don't need any connection to the Internet to run the server.

I can see it being useful for some things. I don't know how the land tools compare, but if you can do the same things with an SL Private Island, you can test the planned terrain before you ever have to start paying tier. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.