SL popularity

2 hours ago, Cube Republic said:

The idea of SL ending one day is weird because that might not be something that can be done given current legislation being proposed at least in Europe. 

It's a bit like saying will the internet close one day. 

I think it will run down and become antiquated like any tech, but a day where an off switch is pressed - probably not, but I may eat my words. 

SL is very stable, the only way I see something bad happening to SL is a lawsuit, LL doing something to make content creators all leave, or something to make it massively more expensive. SL is kind of going to keep living as long as nothing comes along and causes a huge issue. It's not like most things that are really popular for a short while then everyone forgets about.

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The only reason opensim can be cheap is it has no users, there is no need for expensive infrastructure.

OSgrid has a few users. I was just there. The number of users was about the same as one of SL's infohubs. If SL closed down, OSgrid would have a few more users due to the absence of competition from SL.

2 hours ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

OSgrid has a few users. I was just there. The number of users was about the same as one of SL's infohubs. If SL closed down, OSgrid would have a few more users due to the absence of competition from SL.

OSGrid would be dead instantly.

The tiny percentage of the SL userbase clued up enough to know about opensim and be able to cearte an account and log in, would overwhelm and DDOS the login servers, and as fast as they get that fixed, the rolling DDOS progresses to the region servers. Everything will need moving to more powerful hardware, suddenly get significantly more expensive to host, followed by months of engineering work to scale up.

OpenSim is not Second Life, even if it looks 'identical' from the client's perspective.

Why? Simple .. they have done almost no engineering, put no investment into serious infrastructure, or scaling, because they have never needed to. OpenSim regions cost almost nothing, because they run on almost nothing and can handle almost nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Pav are a large meerkat like race standing about 6 foot tall.  They live in family groups of up to 8.  Thier  table manners are atrocious.  When watching eat one of the characters remarked, "You better count them afterward and make sure they are all still there."

image.thumb.png.400e73febf60b340da57b7c4efe00c49.png

Edited by Madi Melodious