Inventory transfer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thinking a little more about the IP rights of buyers and those of sellers, I think we could profitably take lessons real world legal definitions of fair use.

I said earlier, "Both of these needs could be met by allowing a copy to be made, but making it impossible to rez both or transfer either until one was deleted, so that only one could be used at a time, which is really the limitation that is needed to protect sellers' rights."

Under real world law, fair use of software includes making and keeping a backup copy, as long as the owner owns the original copy, and requires that the backup be destroyed if the original is sold or given away.  My idea would, through automatically applied technical limitations, apply exactly that standard to SL property.  The buyer would be protected against accidental loss of the original, and the seller would be protected against sale of copies by the buyer.

No doubt this is all true, but what I'm asking for is something much simpler. The transfer of an entire inventory to another character. The Copy/Transfer problem doesn't arise because no one can use this method to make copies and sell them. The inventory still exists in its previous form and with the same owner but nominally attached to a different avatar.

Avatars don't buy stuff, you do. It's your credit/debit card that foots the bill. You have a right to what you paid for. It seems extraordinary that you should lose what you bought through a flawed structure. The solution is to amend the structure.

The messaging, detection and other related functions of SL depend on the Avatar's UUID for identification .. this is why Display Names can work. Thus simply changing the name on an Account would do nothing if your goal is to evade or avoid someone bent on griefing or harassing you. You'd have to obtain a whole new account to get a new UUID and thus you're back to Pete's initial suggestion ... 

How can I transfer all my stuff to my new account?

thats somethign i would be curious about..would there be UUId problems in some way with an inventory that was from another with a different UUID.especially things that had a no trans  perm on them..wouldn't those have to be changed somehow?

just something that has me curious is all..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

thats somethign i would be curious about..would there be UUId problems in some way with an inventory that was from another with a different UUID.especially things that had a no trans  perm on them..wouldn't those have to be changed somehow?

just something that has me curious is all..

Most things that limit actions to the "Owner" use the corresponding LSL call to get the Owner's UUID on the fly. However it is not unthinkable that a script might store the UUID internally, however most would reset and lose the value on Rez.

As for non-scripted things, I *think* they would be okay as they don't really care about their owner's UUID.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.