Okay, so... I need help. Badly.

Kelethus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't seem to stay connected once a certain amount of things load onscreen, and I can't figure out why. I've done literally *everything* people say to do. Bandwidth is set low, I reinstalled numerous times, cleared caches and AppData folder content. Disabled my firewall to see if it was a port issue, no difference. I'm not using a wireless connection and I'm not using a router.

And the symptoms seem strange. What will happen is my character will suddenly not be able to move or interact with anything, but textures will continue to load and render for entire minutes before I'm disconnected with a generic "You've been logged out" prompt. Is anyone else getting this issue?

If it helps, I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, and so far I've tried the SL viewer and Firestorm. In the background I have the latest AVG antivirus running (Does any of its components interfere with SL?). I'm using a wired (not wireless) connection directly from my PC to my modem, no router involved. My connection is a 10MBPS service from Surewest. Do you guys have any idea what's doing this?

*edit* I've noticed I'm losing connectivity with other things like messengers and Steam around the same time I lose my connection to SL. Coincidence, or is SL just killing my connection? Help! :(

How long can u stay connected? 

And yes I have this problem too.  I can usually stay connected 2-4 hours tho, and that is my daily SL time, so I deal with it.

SL is not the easiest program to run, but it's fun. 

Also, if it's someone you are trying to stay in touch with like a gf or bf or perhaps a love interest or a business interest, get their email (if you've known them long enough, but be advised that some people will not give out their email to anyone so don't feel rejected; it's just a no email policy some people have on SL).  But if you both agree to the sharing of the email, download a messenger so you talk when u r logged out of SL. Or if this is a long distance relationship, you can still download messager and keep in touch when SL/Internet/Computer gives u problems. 

It could be an over-heating problem for me.  On my end, it could be a safety precaution built into my computer wherein it shuts down before over-heating... I don't really know for certain tho. 

I finally met a land lady I was trying to meet to see a house and she said it took her two hours to log into SL today.  So she was stressed, though was very kind even under those circumstances, and very professional and friendly.  

Many of us have tremendous difficulties with SL, some seem to happen at random and we don't even know the exact reason.

Also, if you have viewer 2, you can log onto basic sometimes to give your computer a little rest.  Just a suggestion.

But first, how long do u stay on SL before the "darn. you've been logged out of SL" message appears?

Honestly, never longer than a few minutes. Sometimes my character will not be able to move instantly upon loading in.

I'm not entirely sure, but would being in the Yard at Honie Isle be contributing to my issue? I noticed there's really a crap ton of things to render here, and I actually had to lower my memory useage toward the viewer and disable anti-aliasing to make the viewer not lock up. It's crazy because I run other current generation games very, very smoothly.

Oh that's not long at all.

It could be that place.  Try seeing if you can log into a place called Smith, Lime or Aqua.  I read about this Smith, Lime and Aqua here on the forums, but you'll need someone to come online who has that specific info on how you log in someone else (the names mentioned above) in case I have that wrong. 

(You can also search the database if you have specific questions).

I'm sure someone will enter this thread with more helpful info than I have as soon as they are able. 

The forums have been a little less crowded because SL was having a bday celebration, and this weekend is a holiday weekend in the States. 

So be patient, and I'm sure you will get help.  There is also a thing called a ticket. 

I'm logging off for the night, but hang in there! 

To those of you still having my problem, I come to you with glorious advice.

DISABLE HTTP TEXTURES.

Game will load faster, run smoother, and no disconnections. All problems solved, world peace accomplished.

What are HTTP "textures"?

I'm asking because I think I might need some kind of HTTP thing in order to get lindens from the SL exchange which connects to my payment info. 

So could u explain what u mean by this?  And if I disable HTTP, how will I get from the SL exchange to my payment info? ? ?

Hi Mayalily,

"HTTP Textures" should be an option in your Develop menu (I believe you can use Ctrl+Alt+Q to get it). It is a different method used to retrieve the textures on prims, and is unrelated to the method you use to browse to the Second Life web site.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.