Ask a Child Avatar

You can also use alts to play your relatives. I really enjoy having a sibling in SL, so I created a child bot using chatGPT and turned her into my little sister. She would accompany me wherever I went.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sadvhi said:

You can also use alts to play your relatives. I really enjoy having a sibling in SL, so I created a child bot using chatGPT and turned her into my little sister. She would accompany me wherever I went.

How expensive is it to do that?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lilbap said:

How expensive is it to do that?

There are a few ways you can go about it. I used Smartbots with the AI (GPT) Local Chat Autoresponder addon. The addon is a one time fee of 499L. It costs 170L per week to host a bot via Smartbots, then you also have to pay for API tokens but the tokens are fairly inexpensive. Someone said their token usage came out to only a few dollars a day even chatting with their bot the whole day. I funded my account with about 1k lindens worth of tokens and barely used any to chat with my bot sister. 

You have to be careful when setting it up though, because I got myself into some crazy situations when my sister began responding to strangers when we were out shopping. This random family was having a conversation and my sister started asking them questions just like a 5 year old child would, because I programmed her to always speak as a five year old, which was hilarious, but I was mortified and teleported her out of there as fast as I could 🤣

There's a Chatbot script on MP called BubbleBot that some people use instead of going the Smartbots route, and you can just double log if your pc can handle it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, InnerCity Elf said:

Just to not be misunderstood - I'm not thinking that all SL children want a parent or any kind of carer in the first place, there certainly are enough who just want to play, find the avis cute, or just wsnt to be left alone, etc.

i see all kinds of dynamics. grandparents, aunts uncles, cousins, siblings. etc. I see boards for them at adoption centers too. 

11 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are there "emancipated children", who started out with parents but then were given permission to take responsibility for themselves?

Lots of people get adopted and then someone goes inactive, or otherwise leaves SL so they are alone and looking for new parents. I also see kids that like to RP being an orphan or street urchin. I haven't run into anyone claiming they were emancipated though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sydelle Zanzibar said:

Lots of people get adopted and then someone goes inactive, or otherwise leaves SL so they are alone and looking for new parents. I also see kids that like to RP being an orphan or street urchin. I haven't run into anyone claiming they were emancipated though. 

I was in a similar situation before I got adopted by my current family 4 years ago. I'd been with my old SL mum for a couple of years when she just up and left and abandoned me. No note, no communication, nothing. 

At first you hang around and hope but after months and months you start to doubt. Eventually I had to realise that she wasn't coming back and I was left wondering whether something had happened to her in RL. 

Eventually I found out she'd been using an alt and joined another family. It didn't work out and about a year and a half later she started messaging me saying she missed me etc. 

Yeah sorry no.... 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

13 hours ago, brodiac90 said:

I was in a similar situation before I got adopted by my current family 4 years ago. I'd been with my old SL mum for a couple of years when she just up and left and abandoned me. No note, no communication, nothing. 

At first you hang around and hope but after months and months you start to doubt. Eventually I had to realise that she wasn't coming back and I was left wondering whether something had happened to her in RL. 

Eventually I found out she'd been using an alt and joined another family. It didn't work out and about a year and a half later she started messaging me saying she missed me etc. 

Yeah sorry no.... 

That's quite unfortunate for what happened to you. Honestly, they should've at least said something to you instead of just leaving you with no information. 

• Like 3

I guess I could actually post, since it might be relevant.

As a kid-character-type avatar I've played everything from a zombie child to a skeletal ghost child to yes, a vampire.The few actually decent kid sims I used to visit were pretty much all-inclusive, if anything some of them only disallowing adult avatars. I've met furry children in such places, and they are typically cool peeps to hang out with.

As far as being abandoned by adoptive parents, it kinda happened to me, though I'm still not sure if she left and came back after 3 years just to ditch me and/or my brother, or if she actually died IRL.

I haven't been inworld lately for whatever excuse reason things, but I was looking some stuff up and decided to check the forums, so yeah. I'll go read the rest of the thread later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I guess I could actually post, since it might be relevant.

As a kid-character-type avatar I've played everything from a zombie child to a skeletal ghost child to yes, a vampire.The few actually decent kid sims I used to visit were pretty much all-inclusive, if anything some of them only disallowing adult avatars. I've met furry children in such places, and they are typically cool peeps to hang out with.

As far as being abandoned by adoptive parents, it kinda happened to me, though I'm still not sure if she left and came back after 3 years just to ditch me and/or my brother, or if she actually died IRL.

I haven't been inworld lately for whatever excuse reason things, but I was looking some stuff up and decided to check the forums, so yeah. I'll go read the rest of the thread later.

I'm glad you're back. *Hugs* & best wishes.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:42 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Have you ever encountered a real child playing in SL and what have you done or would do if you did? 

Someone in a clothing store messaged me and told me that someone in an IM with them had just admitted to being 11 years old IRL, and begged me to help them figure out what to do. I got the alleged underaged user into an IM and they asked me how to find a boyfriend. I asked their age and they said 11. I asked if that was their real life age, they said yes, and I kept them busy with small-talk while reporting them.

Their account was no longer existant within five minutes. It felt kind of bad doing that to someone (going behind their back to betray them), but it was for the best, really. Real kids have absolutely no place in SL, ever. It's too much for some adults to handle responsibly, let alone someone who shouldn't be hanging out in nightclubs looking for a boyfriend when they're still in grade school. The internet is not the most wholesome place for children to explore without supervision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Once more for good measure, I shall post. Yes, I'm making a mess, sorry.

On the subject of being in character. My character is, allegedly unbeknownst to most other people in her community, playing several characters herself. She disguises herself and pretends that she is other people. And... things.

This has resulted at times in the double annoyance of not only catching myself being out of character sometimes, but also my character being caught acting out of character and almost being exposed for what she really is.

It's never been any real hindrance, because everyone knows it's me anyway, pretending to pretend and all, but yeah, it can get darned confusing sometimes. If I took my "RP" way too seriously, I'd have had to eliminate several other people's characters by now. Good thing it's all in fun.

But yeah, as for using "ickle speak" and expecting others to play along, pff. That would be like insisting everybody act like they didn't at least suspect me of being a hideous, eldritch abomination from another dimension.

Besides, I'm big. I know how to enunciate, for I am smart.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Once more for good measure, I shall post. Yes, I'm making a mess, sorry.

On the subject of being in character. My character is, allegedly unbeknownst to most other people in her community, playing several characters herself. She disguises herself and pretends that she is other people. And... things.

This has resulted at times in the double annoyance of not only catching myself being out of character sometimes, but also my character being caught acting out of character and almost being exposed for what she really is.

It's never been any real hindrance, because everyone knows it's me anyway, pretending to pretend and all, but yeah, it can get darned confusing sometimes. If I took my "RP" way too seriously, I'd have had to eliminate several other people's characters by now. Good thing it's all in fun.

But yeah, as for using "ickle speak" and expecting others to play along, pff. That would be like insisting everybody act like they didn't at least suspect me of being a hideous, eldritch abomination from another dimension.

Besides, I'm big. I know how to enunciate, for I am smart.

I've heard lots of good things about you Pheeby, when all this blew up a lot of people were wondering what your thoughts would be so I'm delighted you're involved with the thread. 

As @Persephone Emerald said, welcome back! 

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brodiac90 said:

I've heard lots of good things about you Pheeby, when all this blew up a lot of people were wondering what your thoughts would be so I'm delighted you're involved with the thread. 

As @Persephone Emerald said, welcome back! 

Aw, thanks, bro. Yeah, I've been a SL kid for almost 9 years. When I was new, other kids I met were still telling horror stories about witch-hunts and all sorts of paranoid stuff, and it's been a long time coming, I think, with the new rules changes and all.

I can actually see a lot of positive benefits in the future, as silly as it all might seem to people who consider themselves unaffected. Having actual rules in place that help get past people not knowing if the person playing a kid is a scumbag in disguise, or legitimately playing a child, well, I think that's a huge plus.

Nobody can even hit on us anymore without being tagged as the offending party when someone reports it. Having it clearly stated that it's not our fault and we weren't asking for it if some dude shows up and is flopping a dongo around at us is especially nice.

And it's all clearly stated in the actual rules now.

Things like mandatory modesty coverings remove potential appeal for those who would otherwise pretend to play children so they could stealth-skeezeout over the avatar, also. If they want to play voyeur there won't be much point anymore, so maybe a lot of the creep factor will dissipate as the grody people move on to somewhere else (hopefully deep in the bowels of the internet, away from kids and those who wish to be kids).

And maybe some of the children's fashions on the MP will improve. Instead of looking like the kid avi equivalent of women's Halloween costumes (nurse hooker, cop hooker, businesslady hooker, etc).

Perhaps my dream of being a cutting-edge, Edwardian-era children's fashion designer can now be realized someday. Maybe underwear larger than a piece of kite string is a step in the right direction, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Someone in a clothing store messaged me and told me that someone in an IM with them had just admitted to being 11 years old IRL, and begged me to help them figure out what to do. I got the alleged underaged user into an IM and they asked me how to find a boyfriend. I asked their age and they said 11. I asked if that was their real life age, they said yes, and I kept them busy with small-talk while reporting them.

Their account was no longer existant within five minutes. It felt kind of bad doing that to someone (going behind their back to betray them), but it was for the best, really. Real kids have absolutely no place in SL, ever. It's too much for some adults to handle responsibly, let alone someone who shouldn't be hanging out in nightclubs looking for a boyfriend when they're still in grade school. The internet is not the most wholesome place for children to explore without supervision.

Thank you for checking in! Your contribution to these topics is missed. I even invoked your name 3 times, and you did not magically appear!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thank you for checking in! Your contribution to these topics is missed. I even invoked your name 3 times, and you did not magically appear!

Nah, it totally worked, I'm just kinda slow, is all.

And thanks for saying that. I don't know if you realize it, or if it even shows really, but you're actually one of my favorite people on the forums, and have been one since I was new here. Being welcomed back by you is actually pretty special to me.

I missed you all, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

OMG, I almost forgot!

One of the coolest things about the new rules is I never have to be disappointed ever again by some @#$%& sitting next to me and a friend when we're trying to have a nice conversation, copping a pose that exposes her poorly-fitted mesh PredatorVsAliens vajayjay, and ask us if we like it and think it's pretty.

It's bad enough when grownups do it. *barfs*

What a relief. Never again.

I've even looked at the rules for some sims I used to enjoy that got ruined by people being all gross, and they have the new rules stated. Maybe those places can stop being crapholes, now.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm reminded of Princess Clara's "pussoir" monster in Drawn Together!

I'd post the old Photoshopped image macro of the face with the googly eyes and fangs, but the picture it was made with would get me into trouble. I can't unsee it to this day, though.

I know it's not the same thing, but it kinda is.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 7:19 AM, PheebyKatz said:

I'd post the old Photoshopped image macro of the face with the googly eyes and fangs, but the picture it was made with would get me into trouble. I can't unsee it to this day, though.

I know it's not the same thing, but it kinda is.

Greetings Pheeby, pleasure to meet you, and thank you for your contribution. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicholasTheHufflepuffWizard said:

Greetings Pheeby, pleasure to meet you, and thank you for your contribution. 

Aw thanks, I recognize you from around. Sorry the post was so gross, but Love's jokes make me do that sometimes. XD

33 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Aw thanks, I recognize you from around. Sorry the post was so gross, but Love's jokes make me do that sometimes. XD

* Checks in to see what I did now! *
* Beams proudly at being mostly innocent this time *

• Haha 3

On 6/5/2024 at 1:37 AM, PheebyKatz said:

That's alright, its not a big deal. This has been quite the interesting thread, it's nice to see many users here with Child Avatars who are answering questions from different people. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2024 at 11:10 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Besides what's listed above, what does a child avatar do for fun? There's a lot in Second Life.

I like your question,

Children avatars can do far more then people think. I have lived as second life child full time since 2008

I have been an Auctioneer for multi Breadable's within second life. Most notable I was a Horse Auctioneer for many years. Besides being an Auctioneer, I bread them as well.

Many of us go to school, just like normal children in Real Life do.

Many of us like to explore and do fun things, there is a lot of activities within second life that are very family friendly. Dinsney World, Jurassic Park.

We like to go shopping.

Many of us have in-world stores or business as well.

Most children Avatars within Second Life have family's and live within the family's just like one would in real Life, having parents over us not only to watch over us, but to spend time with. I think family RP within family are different in each family, I can only speak for myself, My family treats me like a child, they give me baths they change my clothing, they read bed time stories to me on voice before bedtime, and when need be unfortunately they do disincline us when our behavior gets out of hand, just as real life parents would do. I don't think anyone likes to be discipline but sometimes it does happen, not very fun at all.

Living as a child can be very rewarding, but it ant for every body and I get that.

We also go to show's just like every body else, concerts, we watch movies in second life, I mean there really is no limit on what we can't do, within reason. 

If you have any other questions you can IM me privately if you wish and I"ll try to answer them or you can ask another child avatar, you'll find that we are some of the best people you'll ever interact within second life, but like all things there are bad apples and sadly some people don't get good and positive interactions, so they judge based on bad experiences or rumor.

I hope that helps a little . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 4:11 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

How soon after you got into SL did you decide you wanted to use a child avatar? 

Did you try other types of avatars first?

Do you still use adult or other types of avatars too?

Do you have friends who are Tinies, Dinkies or other small type avatars?

That is a great question, I joined second life in 2005, a real life friend brought me in, I only ended up staying for 3 weeks, because I didn't understand at that time that much about second life other then the fact at that time  you had to have money to really enjoy second life, content creation wasn't the easiest for people who aren't naturally skilled.

I returned to second life in 2007, and by the time 2008 rolled around, I noticed a lot of hate towards group of people, and the child avatar community was atop that list. So out of being board and having curiosity I made two child avatar one female, 1 male within 2 weeks of each other. 

On my male one I got adopted fast, I was so overwhelmed by the experience, the talking on open voice, that was a new thing back in the day, I found myself being more on my child avatar then my adult avatar and as time went on I became a full time child avatar and I havent' looked back since. 

If you want more detailed info feel free to send me a message and I'll try to help you best I can.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2024 at 12:42 AM, Bree Giffen said:

From my experiences in child animating I can say that child avatars require a different set of animations because their proportions are much smaller than adults. You just can't re-use the same anims that are used for adults especially sitting or interaction with objects.

Question:

Have you ever encountered a real child playing in SL and what have you done or would do if you did? 

That is a good and touchy subject,

I have come across real life children, some so young that I don't even know how they got onto second life, in that case I do what any responsible adult would do, I report them to second life, letting them know there is an underage child within second life. That may sound mean and cruel to some, but I know 1st hand by all the nasty im I have gotten from being a virtual child, I know it not a safe environment for real life children, so I act according to protect the welfare of that child.

There have been times when I have come across children that were with there rl parents in that case I voice my options and concerns to the parents then I step away.

There are predators within second life, that pray on and stock children virtual and other wise. As an adult in rl you have to do the right thing, because rl children are at highest risk for them. Don't get me wrong even virtual children are at risk, but it not the same thing.

Another problem rl children that come in, don't come in as child avatars so that is another problem within itself. I've heard stories where people have gotten involved with a real life child thinking they were an adult. So yes it is a huge problem, and pretending it not ant going to make it any better.

In closing I will say I am very nice, and kind to anyone I meet within second life, but even more so I feel they are a real child, and I do worry about their safety, because having been a part of second life for so long I know the kind of creepy people that they can come into contact with, it all of our responsibilities to protect real life children. 

• Like 1