Inventory Managment - File sizes?

im trying to do manage damage control to my immensein inventory *156000 plus-  and was wondering , what basic items have the biggest file size?  pictures? sound files? textures?  clothing? ( system type clothing) and or objects?  i so badly need to  reduce my (junk pile) its come to the point were it IS affecting my ability to log in sucessfully.  i found out inventory DOES make a physical inpact on PC memory too.

My 2 biggest System files are Objects and Clothes. 

There are some tricks to getting one's inventory under control, but it's still going to take months if you have 156,000+ items.

Start with deleting items for which you can get rid of a bunch at once. Sort to only show scripts, then delete all the ones you know you don't need, like those for opening packages. Sort to only show notecards, then delete all the "Thank you" or "Contact" ones from merchants. Delete the animations for holding a box too.

Create subfolders within your system folders, including ones that say " ! Clothes to Sort ! " and " ! Objects to Sort ! ". (An explanation point at the front of a folder title puts it above other folders.) Create a subfolder within Landmarks for stores and events, if you want to keep these. (Some people just rely on Search, because stores may move or disappear, but I've found a few stores that either don't show  in Search or have names that are difficult to remember as they do show in Search.)  Now, search on the words "store", "design", "clothing", etc. and drag those into your Stores and Events folder. Then delete all the duplicates below the top LM with that name. (Newer items with the same name land above the others.)

I make subfolders for different kinds of clothing, but some people sort by the creator or by which mesh body they fit. Think about how you want to use your inventory to access items more quickly, and make your subfolders to follow your own priorities.

Once you have a system in place, you'll have to make a habit of weeding and sorting your inventory at least as often as you go shopping. In SL it's easier to collect stuff than it is to get rid of it, so try not to pick up or keep stuff you don't really like or need.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mobiusonemasterchief Infinity said:

im trying to do manage damage control to my immensein inventory *156000 plus-  and was wondering , what basic items have the biggest file size?  pictures? sound files? textures?  clothing? ( system type clothing) and or objects?  i so badly need to  reduce my (junk pile) its come to the point were it IS affecting my ability to log in sucessfully.  i found out inventory DOES make a physical inpact on PC memory too.

Nothing has any 'size' so to speak. A few bytes, if that.

On a technical level every single thing in your inventory is just the equivalent of a shortcut in Windows, it doesn't actually exist multiple times over. There's one copy of the actual thing on LL's servers and everyone that 'owns' it just has a shortcut to it in their inventory.

Of course there's a lot of obfuscation of that fact but every single thing is the exact same size in your inventory, it's just a pointer to the actual thing. The issues some people have with very large inventories is that they are too 'flat' with not enough subfolders, I'm sure there's probably some theoretical max inventory size (in terms of items) but it'll be some huge number that nobody ever really has to worry about. For whatever reason though 'flat' inventories do cause login problems.

Your inventory content listing is cached on your computer that is true but it's just a cache of all those shortcuts, not the actual content of them if that makes any sense. I believe the cache is to avoid the viewer having to request the entire listing every time you log in (fetching it is absurdly slow for some reason) but we're talking a small amount of data here, nothing significant.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Thanks 2

If you were thinking which inventory items take the most space the answer is none, the inventory assets are just pointers to things and they're not stored on your drive or in the inventory directly. Focusing on any specific type to clean up isn't going to really make a difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@mobiusonemasterchief Infinity: This inventory issue is something that really merits a comprehensive Knowledge Base entry.  The space taken up on your computer is really negligible  even for inventories of 20000 or more.

However it takes time to load fromLinden Lab's Inventory Servers and the larger the inventory, the longer it takes to log in.  This is important since the login process has a "time-out" function (I have no idea what that time-limit is).  It is dependent on folder sizes so if you do not subdivide your inventory into subfolders, you may run into login issues.

I created a number of my own folders, shoes, hair etc and within those I subdivider it further into individual brands/creators.  Ir works for me.  Even after many years of shopping and hoarding, my logins are swift and reliable.

If your login times out for one alt and not for others, that "may" be your issue; at that point it is sensible to approach Linden Lab Support who will "unflatten" your inventory.  It will not look pretty and you will probably reclassify most of it, but it will load.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling: I kan't spel.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1