How does LinksetData work in an HUD?

I couldn't find any mention of this in the forums or the Wiki. I surmise that the linksetdata belongs to the root prim somehow - i.e. the avatar?

That would make it a crap shoot; ideally I'd like my HUD to maintain its own LSD and it gives the illusion of doing so.

Anyone have any idea ?A pointer to a document would be even better..

A HUD is just like any other object.  It just happens to be attached to your avatar, the same way that any article of clothing or a weapon is attached.  LSD works the same way it does for a prim rezzed on the ground. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bavid Dailey said:

I surmise that the linksetdata belongs to the root prim somehow - i.e. the avatar?

for the purposes of LSD, and probably a lot of other things, the avatar is not the root prim of the attachment. the avatar itself does not store any LSD. I think a better way of thinking of it would be the avatar is kinda like its own region/sim.

• Like 1

When an avatar sits on an object, it is added to the end of the link set and will have the largest link number.

So, I would surmise (with no evidence to support mind you) that in regards to links the HUD will act similarly a "chair" in regards to link order. That when the HUD is attached, if there is a ad-hoc linkset created, the avatar would be added as the *last* link in the chain always and never the root.

Wearing an object as an attachment does not impact the link order (or count) of a linkset, nor does it affect the object's linksetdata store. We can easily test this out:

/*
1. link 3 prims together
2. drop this scrit into the object.
3. attach object to avatar
4. click object.
*/

string lsdkey = "test-name";

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetPrimitiveParams([
            PRIM_LINK_TARGET, 1,
                PRIM_NAME, "root",
            PRIM_LINK_TARGET, 2,
                PRIM_NAME, "child-a",
            PRIM_LINK_TARGET, 3,
                PRIM_NAME, "child-b"
            ]);

llLinksetDataWrite(lsdkey, "See you on the other side!");
        llOwnerSay("linkset consists of "+(string)llGetNumberOfPrims()+" prims");
    }

touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        integer x = llDetectedLinkNumber(0);
        integer y = llGetNumberOfPrims();
        llOwnerSay("clicked link# "+(string)x+" of "+(string)y+"; "+llGetLinkName(x));
        llOwnerSay("reading LSD key '"+lsdkey+"': "+llLinksetDataRead(lsdkey));
    }
}

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2