Style exchange - Collaboration, seeing through a different lens

So this has been an idea I've sat on for a while. I frequently find myself feeling stuck, not making any progress. Sometimes it's a technical thing, other times it's just a feeling of not progressing enough and making the same picture again and again. Be that as it may, something I've always been interested in is to see and hear about how others work, to learn from how they are doing things.

Thus the idea was born: Two photographers take a picture of the other avatar, while talking people through the process.

This serves a variety of purposes:

1. Frankly, to connect with others about a mutual hobby.
  2. To learn from seeing the process and being able to ask even "dumb" questions.
  3. To also see your own avatar from someone else's point of view.

Would that be something any of you are interested in? I'll make the first step and offer up myself (selfish, I know :P).

• Who: Nina Kastra (valkalastra) https://flickr.com/photos/191119559@N02/
  • Timezone: CET, UTC+1 -> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?p1=1229
  • When: Mostly during the day. I'm flexible - but pushing late into the night or early morning will diminish my already limited brain capacity :P
  • NSFW: Yes and no. I don't mind but I also don't have Flickr Pro so no upload in that case.
  • Specialty/Niche: Urban, Fashion or Fantasy
  • Additional notes: All skill levels welcome. If you are interested, I'd be willing to optionally stream the process via Discord Livestream. Either way, bring time. I work... slow.
  • Like 2

That was a lot of fun and turned out to be rather insightful too. I've learned a lot about editing and several Firestorm functions I never knew about. @Orwar and I both took a shot of each other's avatar through our own individual lens. With that I present:

Orwar as the shopkeeper of a tiny store that might or might not sell magic ingredients. I don't know, didn't dare ask!

storekeeper.thumb.png.d86936cff32666074b6ab455896249cf.png

• Like 5

Magic? In my shop? Oh, never - but, I certainly observed some truly arcane stuff today. Also a lot of interesting gadgets and gizmos I may need to play around with myself. It was really quite the show!

53596454555_fd255c4b7f_b.jpg

I can also happily report that Neph didn't eat our guest .. For once .. And even let us borrow a pose stand with some poses of hers. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jordyn McGregor said:

I'm game!  As long as I don't get stuck doing clown pics with @Orwar!!!

Starts humming on the tune to Wo sind die Clowns.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Jordyn McGregor said:

I'm game!  As long as I don't get stuck doing clown pics with @Orwar!!!

Would love to - going to try contacting you later in the day, when I'm back from some RL stuff. I promise, no clowns.

Posted (edited)

And vice versa, Jordyn McGregor through mine:

Dreaming of Trains

It really is an interesting experience. Not just to see how others work but also to see how your avatar looks through their perspective and how you represent theirs.

So... yah - anyone else? :D

Edited by ValKalAstra
  • Like 3

Heyo! ❤️ I'd be down for this if time allows! I'm unsure of what the processes have been so far, but more about my availability and style: 

Availability: 

> For voicing, I have time normally anytime before 2-2:30PM SLT during the weekdays for scheduling. For non-voicing, I'm still available those times and may be able to schedule a later time. Weekends are a no-go.

Photo Style:

>Simplistic to minimalistic. I can work with or without a background of some kind, but I'm deffo down for sim exploring to take pretty pictures at!

>I use natural SL lighting. Fight me, O-Chan! Sometimes I use projectors.

>I use Black Dragon but have been experimenting with FS when I'm too lazy to relog and/or people I'm with don't have time to wait on me. My preference, however, for something like this would be BD.

>My photo experience is from an SL bloggers perspective with a primary focus on advertising product, I mention that because I feel that sort of correlates with my usual compositions even when I'm not specifically blogging something.

>I do and will most likely edit my photo. It's a pretty minimal process, tbh, but you may have to wait to see the end result. I'd be happy to show the raw in the moment and for comparison tho. 

>I'll probably post my photo to my Flickr.

Feel free to message me inworld if it's easier to try and coordinate! 

Edited by Momo Addams

41 minutes ago, Momo Addams said:

Heyo! ❤️ I'd be down for this if time allows! I'm unsure of what the processes have been so far

Sure thing, let me hit you up in world when I next login. I'll write down the process so far in case others are also interested though.  There really is no codified process for this - so far we've just agreed on a time and date then met up in world. In both cases, I offered a stream of my Firestorm for those that were happy to chat in Discord. Really though, anything goes. It's a means to connect with others and also to see how they work - or how they view your avatar. Also doesn't have to be me - I am just the one to get the ball rolling.

So yah - in my case, I'd be happy to just do whatever.

Here's my photo of @ValKalAstra. ❤️ It was fun freaking out last second about an outfit cause we talked about some nerd stuff and I got panic inspo'd by them. n.n; It was also fun to try and go to a sandbox sim to rez a background and then find out it was full so we couldn't. And then! it was fun to even work my portion cause of my spotty internet going out every like, 30 minutes (it went out 3 times the whole time we were together working, I think! >_<) So this was the best I could do before the net left me right in the middle of snapping shots. >: Regardless, I did have a lot of fun editing it and felt very inspo'd during that part of the process by all the red Val wore. o: 

ValKalAstra...

• Like 4

Awww I love the result though! The particle effects are a really cool touch and yah I may have been wearing a lot of red at the time. Technology definitely wasn't on our side today though. Not only was the usual (somewhat sleazy) sandbox unusually full and in use - the second I got a free spot, I had just enough time to rez the backdrop and then got smacked with rolling restarts. On my way home I got smacked with "this sim is offline" so I ended up on a random snowy runway in the middle of bloody hell nowhere all dolled up in a fantasy getup and I think I might have annoyed a pilot for all of the few seconds I was there.

It definitely was a lot of fun and also really interesting. @Momo Addams explained a lot of aspects from composition to me that I had never really thought about previously. Will be interesting to see when and how I can make use of it. One way or another, here's the image I took of her avatar:

The forgotten library

I struggled a bit with lighting today but it was fun nonetheless. With that said...

Anyone else? Come on in, regardless of skill level. We can all learn from one another and it's fun to talk to all the creative minds.

• Like 4