I am looking for an Experienced Photographer

I am looking for an experienced photographer one who can teach me, and one who won't take advantage of amt I give for their time.  I am also looking for someone who makes avatars ofc I am willing to pay for both at a reasonable price!  I make them, but I am looking for someone who knows about Catwa trying to find different looks. 

Offhand, I'd say look in the selfie threads (in the Your Avatar section of the forums), we have many people who could teach inworld photography, and would probably enjoy helping another learn.

Personal experience, I can vouch for Aiyumei as being pro-level skillwise, and Scylla is also highly skilled, like pro artist level. I know this from seeing their works aside from on the forums. We have a lot of really good photographers, though, and most of them spend at least some time in the selfy threads. Maybe message a few people who have similar skills to what you'd like to cultivate.

Help with avis, no idea, because I hardly connect with any of the top-tier stuff the way a lot of others here do. I know people who swear by Catwa, but they've all had their looks down for like, forever. I don't know if they'd even want to mess with editing one, lol.

I know we have people here who can help though.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More or less, @PheebyKatz gave you the gist of it. Us photographers are usually a bit weird but overall friendly bunch. If you're looking to learn, there are a great many resources for that. A good first start is YouTube, if you're the type that learns well with Videos. I know I don't - but the resources are out there. I'll recommend two groups to you as well.

The first is FOCUS: secondlife:///app/group/163f6c9c-7a1a-d3ea-e144-bc6ccfab61c6/about (if the forums don't link this properly, just copy/paste into your SL adress bar)

This is in my opinion THE place to go to for professional connections and also to just stay connected. You'll probably find most of the popular names in it. They run the FOCUS magazine as well as the photography fair event and galleries. If memory serves they often do teaching events too, so if your timezone allows, do check them out. https://artfocused.com/

---

The other group is Naturally Naughty 2.0: secondlife:///app/group/203e4ae4-42ee-f66c-1b6b-3e4e35baee44/about

If you don't mind occasionally seeing nudity and sexual content, this is a lovely and very welcoming place for photographers of all skill levels. They've also got a sim full of wonderful backdrops for you to use. Very active, very friendly. I'd say join, even if you do mind NSFW content - in which case just skip the posted images. Folks will still be welcoming and helpful.

---

Last but not least, just as PheebyKatz mentioned, you may want to find artists with a style you want to develop yourself. There are many different ways you can go about taking a picture. Say, some are adherents to the church of the raw shot - everything done must be SL only. Others are really intricate in building their own sets and working on dramatic artful lighting. Yet others love adding an element of editing, taking the pictures and turning them into something else entirely. Me, I wouldn't go as far as call myself experienced, but my joy is in finding technical solutions that are just a wee bit nutty.

How nutty?

nina_is_crazy.thumb.png.9a53f14c8fa0647b1eda6ba49d67bf73.png

This nutty. :D

• Like 1

Please don't pay people to teach you photography in SL, since the functionality of taking pictures is a free thing that can be played with if you take time to self-teach. ❤️ Not unless it's like...some RP thing you're trying to get out of it, in which case, do you boo-boo with your L$. But if you'd like help with SL photography, def do the above mentioned and find someone's pieces you like and maybe ask the people behind those images for pointers if you're wanting to achieve their style. SL photography is as artsy as you want to make it, and styles are more the creative flavor of the individuals behind the picture. Even if you find a style you like, you'll probably never fully achieve that photo persons "style" cause of the nature of the creative process. I imagine though you might eventually form your own style, like most "artist" do. 

Since SL photography is a hobby of mine that I adore, I personally love giving technical pointers on it. And even then those technical pointers will vary per SL photo enthusiast because some people use Firestorm viewer for their shots and some use Black Dragon, while others use other viewers. The terminologies used might start to sound the same, but the indepthness in achieving certain qualities in some viewers over others is not precise. Personal computers and their graphics qualities I also think factor into these sorts of things, but I could be wrong. For me, I use Black Dragon. Here's a guide I made for another friend that sort of goes into the details of my pieces if you might find use out of it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SWoMx0EEW0VVKNlzJPQ6IbRg61nm4FJIepOWsyLEyfE/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 1:20 PM, ValKalAstra said:

Us photographers are usually a bit weird

'A bit'? 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952g7769rxld1e7tson2f0

But um, yeah. Plenty of blogs and videos around, quite a few posts/threads on these forums (some of my own - but I can't remember where I put them!), but if you're specifically looking for a tutor then I'd go with just chatting with people whose photos you enjoy. The trouble with being tutored with SL UI stuff is that you can't show someone how it looks without either taking screenshots/gyazos or streaming to them, in videos you get to see it from the perspective of the photographer as they do their thing, which is usually smoother than 'if you click into this menu and then look for this option and then this sub-option and go for this setting there'. And if there's anything in particular you want to know and can't find, you can always just throw it out on the forums and people usually will answer fairly quickly.

On 3/7/2024 at 12:21 PM, Momo Addams said:

Please don't pay people to teach you photography in SL, since the functionality of taking pictures is a free thing that can be played with if you take time to self-teach. ❤️ Not unless it's like...some RP thing you're trying to get out of it, in which case, do you boo-boo with your L$. But if you'd like help with SL photography, def do the above mentioned and find someone's pieces you like and maybe ask the people behind those images for pointers if you're wanting to achieve their style. SL photography is as artsy as you want to make it, and styles are more the creative flavor of the individuals behind the picture. Even if you find a style you like, you'll probably never fully achieve that photo persons "style" cause of the nature of the creative process. I imagine though you might eventually form your own style, like most "artist" do. 

Since SL photography is a hobby of mine that I adore, I personally love giving technical pointers on it. And even then those technical pointers will vary per SL photo enthusiast because some people use Firestorm viewer for their shots and some use Black Dragon, while others use other viewers. The terminologies used might start to sound the same, but the indepthness in achieving certain qualities in some viewers over others is not precise. Personal computers and their graphics qualities I also think factor into these sorts of things, but I could be wrong. For me, I use Black Dragon. Here's a guide I made for another friend that sort of goes into the details of my pieces if you might find use out of it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SWoMx0EEW0VVKNlzJPQ6IbRg61nm4FJIepOWsyLEyfE/edit?usp=sharing

On 3/5/2024 at 5:51 AM, PheebyKatz said:

Offhand, I'd say look in the selfie threads (in the Your Avatar section of the forums), we have many people who could teach inworld photography, and would probably enjoy helping another learn.

Personal experience, I can vouch for Aiyumei as being pro-level skillwise, and Scylla is also highly skilled, like pro artist level. I know this from seeing their works aside from on the forums. We have a lot of really good photographers, though, and most of them spend at least some time in the selfy threads. Maybe message a few people who have similar skills to what you'd like to cultivate.

Help with avis, no idea, because I hardly connect with any of the top-tier stuff the way a lot of others here do. I know people who swear by Catwa, but they've all had their looks down for like, forever. I don't know if they'd even want to mess with editing one, lol.

I know we have people here who can help though.

Thank you all so much!!