Cannot link a pole to a flag and add a flapping script to the flag

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well as in the subject line.

I even managed to make the pole flap when I added the script to the flag after having linked the couple.

If I add it previously then the flag waves all over and cannot make it linked.

I'll be trying while you'll be answering.

red flag.png

1 hour ago, examining said:

I even managed to make the pole flap when I added the script to the flag after having linked the couple.

red flag.png

You don't need scripts for moving flags. You can get this effect by turning a regular prim into flexi.

1) Rezz a cylinder and shape into pole. Set aside.

2) Rezz a cube and shape into flat panel. While in edit mode, go to Features tab and checkmark "Flexible Path" in order to turn it into a flexi prim.

3) Test the flexiness of the prim by using the arrow keys to jiggle it around.

4) Rotate cube prim so it moves in the right direction. Position to the pole but don't link it yet.

5) Under the Features tab in Edit Mode on the cube prim, you should see the various settings under checkmarked Flexible Path: Softness, Gravity, Drag, Wind, tension, and force x,y,z.  They influence how droopy, stiff, or sensitive to the SL wind you wish the prim to be.

6) Link the 2 prims together by selecting the pole prim first, then shift=click on the cube prim, and link.

7) If you jiggle the flag around you'll see the flag moving in the wind.

I often refer to Torley's old video tutorial on making flags, though it's very old using an older viewer at the time, but you'll get the idea:

I haven't found an updated video to reflect current viewers in use yet.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, examining said:

red flag.png

Make sure to click the pole first and then the flag.
It makes the flag the root prim. The script should work.

If you follow Eddy's description step by step there is no script needed.

• Like 1

I like to make sure it turns like a windsock, so that however the wind is moving it won't bind or flap funny.

I can't remember if the flag my Soviet Victory Zombies carry is scripted or not, but it waves pretty well.

Eddy's tutorial up there is pretty spot-on, also.

I'm going to make a note to myself to send you one of my blank, premade flags when I log on, and you can use that as a guide in case it helps, too. I'll make sure it's got full permissions so you can take a copy apart and autopsy it.

EDIT: I sent you a copy of my non-rotating flag, because it might be closest to what you're trying to make. It has a simple (very simple) script in the flag prim (the flexi part) that wiggles it a little so it flaps even when there's not much wind to make it go. The pole is the root prim, so use Edit Linked and click on the flag itself to get the script out of the Contents tab.

The flag doesn't rotate around the pole with the wind, because that's another script entirely, and I have no idea where I've mislaid it. It'd only complicate things anyway, probably.

The flag should be full perms, but if you have any permissions hassles, let me know and I'll make sure to fix it. I hope it helps with your project. ^-^

And yeah, you don't need any script at all. It just makes it wiggle a little for added realism.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.