Sculpt texture not loading on sculpted prim

Schneelocke Saarinen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I've got a problem with a sculpted object I bought on the SL Marketplace.

The object in question consists of one sculpted prim. Upon rezzing, the object shows up as a sphere and never assumes its proper shape. Editing the object reveals that the sculpt texture does not display in the relevant field on the "Object" tab of the Edit dialog. Rather, the field says "Loading...", and the texture never actually loads.

I have a copy of the sculpt texture in my Inventory (it came with the object). As such, I tried to apply a new sculpt texture by opening the texture chooser dialogue and selecting it from my list of textures; however, the relevant texture (along with others) does not show up. I also tried applying the texture as a sculpt texture by dragging it onto the sculpt texture field from my Inventory, but found that I was unable to drop it there. Applying other sculpt textures from my Inventory to the object worked fine in both cases.

I also tried waiting for a while (several hours by now), rezzing new copies of the object, and creating new objects from scratch, setting their prim to "sculpted" and applying the sculpt texture from my Inventory there. None of this worked.

Friends of mine have confirmed that the object does not show up as a proper sculpty for them, either: they only see a sphere, just like I do. One friend suggested cache issues, but I don't think cache issues could prevent the texture from e.g. showing up in the texture chooser dialogue.

FWIW, I can open the sculpt texture in question and view it from my Inventory, the same way I would view any other (regular) texture. All other sculpties also continue to work fine for me.

I'm running out of ideas here. Does anyone have any suggestions where the problem might lie or what I could do to fix it? I'm suspecting that the problem lies with SL's asset servers, which would put it outside my influence, but be that as it may, I bought this object and would like to use it.

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

It sounds as if you have tried all of the things that I would have tried myself, except possibly seeing if you can create the sculpty on a different sim.  Since you are able to load other sculpty UVs, it seems most likely to me that this one is borked somehow.  I suggest getting in touch with the creator, telling him just what you have told us, and seeing if he can offer some help.  I'd be very surprised if he didn't have a solution.

• Like 1

I don't actually know the technical issues behind this but it happens more often than you might expect. It is like the asset server has "forgotten" the texture in question. It is certainly likely that the sculpt worked fine with the designer put it up on the marketplace. I, personally have had several textures "disappear" from objects INSIDE my Magic Box. These were regular textures, not sculpts and I still had the texture that I used originally.

I fixed the object for the person that bought it, found it faulty and contacted me. This same object, MONTHS later, after it had been fixed lost that same texture (this time on more sides of the object). I fixed it again and sent out new copies to everyone that bought the item in the last few months. I have little faith that it is actually fixed permanently. The texture was used in numerous other items that have never shown a problem, it is just ONE prim in one build that seems to lose it connection with the texture.

I do not know HOW the asset server gets confused, but it does. I am a blogger and get lots of review items from designers. This happens to them also. It is not a "temp texture" issue (although it could possibly be that in your case as that is one possibility). Oftentimes the object was correct at one point. The designer may even have a copy of the same item (boxed) that went into the magic box (I did) with the object just fine.

So my best and only advice would be to contact the person that made your object and explain what is happening. It may have happened to them before. If not, and they build a lot, it will certainly happen again. Well, maybe not CERTAINLY, but likely *wink*. They most likely would LIKE to know there is an issue.

I have had issues (years ago) when I appeared to have a texture (my own and ones I picked up in classes) that was no longer viable. It could be viewed but not used. I, personally haven't seen that in a long while but it has happened.

So not you, a problem that has been with us for years and seems to be getting more widespread.

Good luck.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.