Secondlife or firestorm wont open anymore

lillydisgrace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 93 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi
My graphics card uninstalled itself a few weeks ago and my monitor was receiving no signal from the card. In the end I got my monitor to work by plugging it into the motherboard.

I managed to reinstall the AMD adrenaline software and got Hitman 3 to run again and that's all i cared about, but yesterday I realised that second life wont open any more. It said something like graphics drivers not up to date (it did anyway, but now it says nothing and it dont get past the texture initialization window) 

I must have installed about 8 different version of Radeon Adrenaline now and nothing works for second life

So I checked some other games like Wolfenstein and they also wont load but Hitman, Arma 3 and Limbo and others work as they should.

Today I installed Firestorm hoping that it would work but it dont it gives a similar message that secondlife viewer did. "Firestorm is unable to run because video card drivers are not properly installed"

Iv had the card since 2015 and never had a single problem with it until it unstilled itself when the computer had gone too sleep one night

AMD Radeon r290 sapphire
Intel (R) Core TM i5-4690k CPU 3.50ghz

Windows 10 64bit

Anyone got any suggestions ? 

Do you think it has something to do with my monitor being plugged into the motherboard and not the graphics card ? because Hitman works fine :(

This page dont make alot of sense to me
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/80939/graphics.html#97504

drivers.JPG

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18388/intel-graphics-driver-for-windows-10-15-40-4th-gen.html
I downloaded this and went to install it but it gives me this message
image.jpeg.acdc2630ff101853bbbd416bbb746c6a.jpeg

ghost recon wildlands and assassins creed odyssey also work, both smooth ass no jankyness. 

Edited by lillydisgrace
missing info

If your monitor is connected to the motherboard then you will not actually be using the graphics card but will be using whatever discrete graphics the motherboard has on it - that's probably why Second Life gives up as it can't run on motherboard discrete graphics. From your last screenshot you will see your computer is using Intel HD Graphics and not the AMD card.

In order to actually use the graphics card you need to plug your monitor into it - if it still does not work then there is something wrong with the graphics card and you will need to seek a repair or replacement (probably cheaper to opt for replacement). You could try opening up the computer (with it powered off of course) and then reseating the graphics card. From personal experience though I think you will have to get a new one as when they start to fail there is no other alternative.

Edited by Chip Craig
  • Like 2

If you got a desktop PC (which the mention of a monitor would strongly hint for), then you might want to disable the Intel iGPU from the BIOS/EFI, so that it won't wrongly be picked up for rendering 3D games/applications (and then you can also uninstall the Intel graphics driver under Windows).

As for the AMD card and the viewer message about its driver (should you still get it after disabling the iGPU), it might be the result of the new (reinstalled) driver not providing a valid OpenGL version any more for this old GPU... You would have to find the same driver version as the one that got spuriously uninstalled to fix the issue.

Alternatively, try another TPV (the Cool VL Viewer should still work with any OpenGL v2.1 and better graphics cards, but some v2.1 drivers may still lack necessary features and might not pass either).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

No see if I uninstall the AMD adrenaline software, then Secondlife will launch with the motherboard graphics card. The last screen shot is a message i get when installing the drivers from the intel website. Also when the AMD card is uninstalled Hitman wont run at all it just closes its self. So the graphics card can be used with the monitor plugged into the motherboard. The fans spin ad it is working somehow.

13 minutes ago, lillydisgrace said:

No see if I uninstall the AMD adrenaline software, then Secondlife will launch with the motherboard graphics card.

Yes, viewers can run with Intel iGPUs, but they will render dead slow with them, slower than with your AMD GPU. This is why, on a desktop system (which does not need to save power on batteries) equipped with a discrete GPU (a graphics card), it is best to disable entirely the iGPU from the BIOS/EFI: this way, you do not risk to see a software picking up the wrong GPU to render and end up being too slow; it also lowers a bit the heating in the CPU (the iGPU transistors being powered off) and allows for a slightly better boost frequency.

17 minutes ago, lillydisgrace said:

Also when the AMD card is uninstalled Hitman wont run at all it just closes its self.

Hitman is using DirectX, not OpenGL like the viewer needs... The fact you installed a very new driver on a very old card (2015 !) is likely the cause of your issue: try and roll back your driver to one published a couple years ago, or even 5 years ago, and see how it fares.

19 minutes ago, lillydisgrace said:

So the graphics card can be used with the monitor plugged into the motherboard. The fans spin ad it is working somehow.

The card can display the 2D desktop, even without a 3D driver: what you need to run the viewer is a proper OpenGL driver for your card.

• Like 1

I'm not clear on what you are running. If you want actual answers rather than guesses post the tech info from your viewer's HELP->About... preferably collect the info while logged in.

If you use a laptop, ensure the Windows settings are set up for performance. Ensure the laptop has not reverted to Intel Graphics integrated into the CPU.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I'm not clear on what you are running. If you want actual answers rather than guesses post the tech info from your viewer's HELP->About... preferably collect the info while logged in.

If you use a laptop, ensure the Windows settings are set up for performance. Ensure the laptop has not reverted to Intel Graphics integrated into the CPU.

In Windows 11, I use Balanced based settings, set slightly higher for better performance. FS and all other LL viewers installed are automatically set to use my laptop's GTX 1050 by default. I run GPU settings in hybrid/Optimus mode.

I manually have to turn off the 1050 within Control Panel if I want to mess with the Intel UHD 630 iGPU by itself. (In Linux, I have to reboot to get this setting. No reboot required in Win11 but I log out and back into my account to ensure Nvidia Control Panel is also switched off from quick start.)

Edited by JeromFranzic
i need more power sludge plz...

ok something bonkers just happened right.

Today I had a new boiler fitted and the electrician said I'm gonna have to turn he power of for a bit can you turn your computers off please, so i did right. The when he was finished I turned them back on but my monitor wouldn't light up so I kept turning the computer on and off until it asked me to reset the bios or what ever the blue screen is and i got my computer back on and the screen was on (this is with the monitor plugged into the motherboard) but my amd card was not detected by the system so I couldn't play assassins creed now but i could run SL.
Then I plugged a second monitor into the amd graphics card and restarted the machine and out of no where the amd card was working both monitors were displaying the desktop and not only that it let me unplug both of the monitors and just plug my main monitor into the graphics card AND, AND :) second life worked with my amd again ?

So its fixed its self but i dont know why. I dont care why either :) 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

It’s because you plugged your monitor into your GPU. Nothing is using the GPU if you have your primary display plugged into the motherboard, it was aLL running on the igpu.

HD4600 doesn’t have switchable passthrough like that.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 93 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.