Second Life Firestorm Help ( Gestures )

EclipseCentral

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I just recently got a new PC ( running windows 11 ) and I came across a weird issue when it came to gestures.

I can't seem to play any gestures with my usual "Shift 4" key while running or walking backwards with the W A S D layout ( using the S key to move backwards while doing Shift 4 for context ) but it doesn't give me the issue when im using the regular arrow keys. The weird thing is, it seems to be just Shift + 4 when it comes to gestures. It works fine if I use Shift + 1, 2 , 3, 5 etc etc etc while im walking backwards with the S key but doesn't want to work with Shift 4 for whatever reason.

I never had this problem before on my old PC back when Windows 8.1 was still relevant where I was able to do that. I'm wondering, is this a bug? A setting in windows? A setting in firestorm that I need too turn off? I haven't touched anything in Firestorm since getting W11 aside from the occasional graphic / display settings. But that's really it.

i'm using Firestorm version 6.6.16 btw 

A low quality keyboard might not register more than a couple keystrokes at once, and on top of that limitation, some keys may share signals so they lock each other out even if the max number wasn't reached. A very common problem in the 90s, trying to play multiplayer games on the same keyboard...

Use a key combination test tool to verify, for example https://www.mechanical-keyboard.org/key-rollover-test/ seems like it might do the job.

The only solutions are to change to a non-conflicting key combo or get a better keyboard.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EclipseCentral said:

while running or walking backwards with the W A S D

The Gods of the Grid are teaching you the error of your WASD cultist ways. Use the cursor keys and numeric keypad, as the Gods intended, 

I mean, it's only been 30 or so years since keyboards were improved to have those, right?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I mean, it's only been 30 or so years since keyboards were improved to have those, right?

Damned right !... I never understood why some people insist on and keep using those keys to move around in games, when the right-handed cursor keys are so much easier to access (well, maybe they are left-handed people only ?).

Not to mention WASD only works on a QWERTY keyboard... 😛

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Damned right !... I never understood why some people insist on and keep using those keys to move around in games, when the right-handed cursor keys are so much easier to access (well, maybe they are left-handed people only ?).

Damned not necesarily right in SL :D

use both hands - WASD and arrows keys. Specially when the vehicle is a hover or skate board.  Multiple keypress combinations needed to move the board and to do animation tricks simultaneously

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Not to mention WASD only works on a QWERTY keyboard... 😛

Right hand for mouselook, it's an FPS gaming thing but works equally well in SL where you need mouse control as well as movement. People settled on WSAD because the left hand is comfortably positioned and also has access to a number of other keys (thumb on space, pinky on shift/ctrl etc).

Cursor keys put your left hand in an uncomfortable place and there's less access to other keys.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.