Current values for "Picks" photos

SookiCatalina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Multiple previous posts list different values for the profile "Picks" photos. Older posts say 16:9 ratio, newer posts say 4:3. But currently in Firestorm, it definitely looks like it's 16:9 to me. Can someone list the current values for "Picks" photos:

--LL viewer: what is the ratio, and what are the actual measurements

--Firestorm viewer: what is the ratio, and what are the actual measurements

Thanks so much. Just trying to avoid "wonky" looking pictures if possible.

4 answers to this question

6 hours ago, SookiCatalina said:

Multiple previous posts list different values for the profile "Picks" photos. Older posts say 16:9 ratio, newer posts say 4:3. But currently in Firestorm, it definitely looks like it's 16:9 to me. Can someone list the current values for "Picks" photos:

The Legacy Profiles used 16:9 and that is what Firestorm has always shown.  For the LL viewer, it was 16:9 back in the V1 viewer, but then changed to the 4:3  - when they went to Web Profiles, I think.  Now that they have scrapped the Web Profiles, I'm not sure if it is still 4:3 for LL viewer or if they reverted to 16:9 or went with something totally new.

ETA:  I found this wiki page with some ratios and measurements.  Not sure if the latest LL viewer stuff is there or not.  Pictures are down at the bottom of the page:   https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

On 11/29/2023 at 5:18 PM, SookiCatalina said:

Doesn't matter anyway, you can't upload a 16:9 or a 4:3 aspect ratio to SL, every image is automatically converted to power of two sizes, so they end up either 1:1 or 2:1 depending on what size the original uploaded was.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Doesn't matter anyway, you can't upload a 16:9 or a 4:3 aspect ratio to SL, every image is automatically converted to power of two sizes, so they end up either 1:1 or 2:1 depending on what size the original uploaded was.

You're right, but it still matters. If you size your image correctly to its final aspect ratio, and then manually re-size it to dimensions with a power of two (512 x512, for example), then SL won't have to re-size it when you upload. Since SL does a crummy job on its re-size, this will produce a sharper image.

Once you slap your "squished" 512x512 onto a prim or into a Profile slot, it will automatically stretch back out to its proper aspect ratio.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.