Mesh normals are always wrong way around (object is transparent from outside).

Mongrove Goldblatt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I created a static mesh in Blender. I tried to upload and in the preview as well as in local rez it was transparent on the outside. I thought that was a problem with the normals so i flipped them in Blender and tried to upload again, but the preview again showed the mesh transparent. Then in Blender I selected show face orientation and the whole mesh was blue on outside and red inside ... so I deleted the previous export and exported again but in upload preview it still was transparent from outside. So I thought maybe firestorm is somehow cashing my upload so I relogged and it is still inside out... I don't understand what I am doing wrong...

Edited by Mongrove Goldblatt

2 hours ago, Mongrove Goldblatt said:

So I created a static mesh in Blender. I tried to upload and in the preview as well as in local rez it was transparent on the outside. I thought that was a problem with the normals so i flipped them in Blender and tried to upload again, but the preview again showed the mesh transparent. Then in Blender I selected show face orientation and the whole mesh was blue on outside and red inside ... so I deleted the previous export and exported again but in upload preview it still was transparent from outside. So I thought maybe firestorm is somehow cashing my upload so I relogged and it is still inside out... I don't understand what I am doing wrong...

Could be that your mesh has negative scaling. Always Apply Rotation & Scale to the mesh in Blender before exporting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mongrove Goldblatt said:

That was it, thanks! :3

Over a decade ago one of the folk on the VERY ACTIVE THEN mesh board told me that I should always apply, location= rotation=scale and transform origin to geometry (this maybe for standard things like furniture and houses).  I started doing that religiously every time and it has saved me so many worries and work.   Folks reading this might want to make a "sticky note" or some such thing. Worth the few seconds it takes each time. 

e

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.