if you change the name of an experience, does it become unlinked from the scripts that refer to it under the prior name?

Manifold Destiny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'd like to change the name of my experience, but it's got a lot of script associated with it.  Will I need to recompile everything?  Or do scripts go by the UUID of the experience so the name change won't make a difference?

Edited by Manifold Destiny
used plural for a word that should be singular

6 answers to this question

Well this isn't quite what I expected.

My alt wrote a little Experience script, renamed the Experience, and the script automatically updated its "Use Experience" field to the new name the next time it opened in the editor, but the 0th element of llGetExperienceDetails() continues to report the old name. Reset the script: still the same old name. Try with a different agent: still the same old name. Copy the object in-world: same old name. Take a copy into inventory and rez it again: now both instances have the new name. (Or maybe the name update was due to mere passage of a few minutes, or some other unknown triggering event.)

Anyway, assuming this is a stable result, it looks pretty safe, if a little weird.

[Edit: by "both instances have the new name" I mean both instances of the script in separate rezzed-in-world objects now report the new name as the 0th element of llGetExperienceDetails().]

Edited by Qie Niangao
(possessive "its" not "it's")
  • Thanks 1

The only functions that *refers* to an experience I can think of is llGetExperienceDetails and that takes a key that defaults to the script's experience key, the name is not something that's ever used as a reference. Changing the name (or any other detail) about an existing experience doesn't affect the key.

You'd have to go out on your way to acquire, store and compare the experience name to see if it's changed.

• Thanks 1

That's my hunch, too, but I think the OP was concerned about whether scripts compiled to an experience would remain compiled to that same experience after its name changes, which is a bit of a leap of faith given that the editor does show the name of the experience to which the script text is to be compiled into an executable script instance using that experience. Ordinarily I'd assume it would just work, but it's true that a whole lotta stuff would break for me, too, if I changed an experience's name and all the scripts and data got stranded, dependent on a no longer valid experience name.

I have an alt who could trash his experience without too much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and now that the question has been raised I'm almost motivated to test, belt and suspenders-like. But it just must be unnecessary, right?

Edited by Qie Niangao

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Take a copy into inventory and rez it again: now both instances have the new name. (Or maybe the name update was due to mere passage of a few minutes, or some other unknown triggering event.)

Sounds like a "feature"..I mean a "bug"..I mean a possibly "undocumented behavior"!

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

That's my hunch, too, but I think the OP was concerned about whether scripts compiled to an experience would remain compiled to that same experience after its name changes, which is a bit of a leap of faith given that the editor does show the name of the experience to which the script text is to be compiled into an executable script instance using that experience.

They do, I tested it before answering. The key the script is associated with isn't changing, nothing is being looked up by name.

Edit: nevermind, I saw the other post only later because of the silly non-chronological answer order. But yes, the updates go through "when they do", the viewer seems to be more aware of the experience detail changes before scripts are, took almost 10 minutes for the scripts to catch up.

Edited by Frionil Fang
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.