"This or That?" in Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

People always talk about how wonderful the live performers are in SL. I think usually they are, but not if they're drunk and off-key.

I am lucky to have only witnessed a few live performances, which were all sober and on key. Maybe only <7 in 16 years (I don't get out much). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KathrynLisbeth said:

Attachment Points?    Default v/s Hair on head & shoes on feet!

I'm pretty strict about this and try to remember to attach things at their logical point :) with hair it's kinda important to be on skull for the alpha priority.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 4:26 AM, Jaylinbridges said:

Hide the post or let it pass.

Close the thread, or give a warning.

Give 2 warnings, or 3 warnings.

Ban or suspend.

Something for the forumites.

1. Log in world. I needs my 3D environment.

2. Let it pass because I can just scroll and be done with it.

3. Close thread to immediately de-escalate.

4. 3 warnings. 3 strikes and you're out, you know?

5. Suspend so the lesson is learned. Banning is too harsh unless someone is begging for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 10:26 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Mesh or Prim?

- Mainland or Private Islands?

- Rent or Own?

- Human or Furry?

- If Furry, Anthro or Feral?

- Skybox or "Ground-level" home?

- Rigged or unrigged?

- Official Viewer or Firestorm/TPV?

I figured i would have more fun basically detailing what i even know about these dichotomies.

Mesh or Prim? I still barely know what a prim is, i started playing SL consistently well after they were considered "old", around the time they were the defacto building block of choice i was like 13?14? playing on a crappy laptop every so often and never stuck around.

Mainland of Private Islands, i hate the idea of private islands personally. I know theyre just part of SL at this point but i feel like part of the fun of a massive virtual world is massive amounts of virtual neighbors and i dont like going to places that are islands.

Rent or own? Id prefer to own but its behind a membership paywall which i dont want to do. Id happily pay twice the cost of a parcel of land up front if i could own it without premium. Or to just be able to straight up buy land with real money, i dont like "memberships" in general. Im a very sporadic player and i want the benefits of premium but without paying for months at a time when im only playing a few days a month. Maybe im asking too much, but im perfectly down to throw money at this game just not on a subsciption basis where they take something away from me if i stop paying.

Human or Furry? Ive been a degenerate furry for a long time. In the context of an SL avatar i think its a bit more creative and has a lot more options for what you want to look like. I also dont like competing body standards for human avatars and while furry avatars arent any better, there are entirely separate options out there for furry avatars and i guess id rather be locked into that. I use a dark spot designs avatar, so my options for clothing are "kinda whatever turns out to fit" and for accessories or different body parts its a similar story. I think a major fault in SL's avatars is that theres a bajillion different standards and compatibilities,  and id rather avoid all of them and simply run a DSD avatar and hope for the best.

If furry, anthro or feral? This is a hot take on my front, but imo feral furries fit into one of two categories. One, theyre super into oldschool animal drama RP? Kinda like the warriors series of books, my little pony, that wolf quest game from ages ago. Any of that. The other category, two, is theyre a little bit too into the animal side of things in any context. I dont like that, i dont want any part of it. One because i dont really fit in with that crowd, but for category two its that i look down upon them being affiliated with the larger community.

Skybox or ground level home? Ideally id live on the ground. Simple answer there, not against skyboxes, but i view their issue being similar to that of private islands. Whats the point without neighbors? Even if you dont interact with them much.

Rigged or unrigged? I dont really have a preference here, some stuff is rigged, some stuff isnt. It can be nice if my scarf does scarf things but then again does my scarf need to do scarf things or can it just clip into my chest sometimes? I dont notice either way.

Official Viewer or Firestorm/TPV? Ive used both interchangeably before, amongst many others. I used to daily use radegast because i was using SL on a laptop from 2001, in 2016. I dont like third party viewer developers all the time though because sometimes theyre really technologically illiterate in the context to the modern web and consumer computer standards in general.

Tangent:

Like you go to download firestorm and its all "pick your os" and your options are the windows 7 icon, OSX leopard, and a drawing of tux from a similar era. Its just outdated, and its really not going to be too long until people look at those and dont actually understand what theyre looking at anymore. For those of us who are a bit older, we remember windows still having a 4 color flag design, or osx leopard in general. But like a current 16 year old? Their depiction of "windows" is 4 white squares. I havent seen Tux used as a linux mascot in sincerity in ages, and definitely not on anything mainstream.

Blackdragon is better for being just generally a bit more appealing to the average user, better web design and all that, but i dont know what theyre thinking with the system requirements thing. A lot of viewers and even LL do that where im not sure if they understand entirely what it is that SL depends on in order to perform well? And instead theyre provided some kind of arbitrary system that may or may not be relevant to modern hardware at all. Blackdragon states "this isnt a minimum" and then theres a GTX 660 in the requirements. Its not that its not accurate, its mostly ok, its that the mentions arent relevant to modern hardware at all. Thats an 11 year old gpu. Whats that equivalent to, what gives you good performance in modern terms? Because if its a GTX 660 that doesnt even have a modern equivalent anymore because the only somewhat recent "low end" gpu is like the RX 6400 which runs circles around the GTX 660.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.