RLV Environment Help

ItHadToComeToThis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

So, after much messing around I have decided to come to you fine folks for help.

In the attached image, I have managed to get an environment I am happy with in personal lightning, but I am struggling to replicate it using RLV functions.

According to my experiments in personal lightning, all I should need to do at this point is alter the suns glow focus, however, altering that value does pretty much nothing in the script.

Anyone got any experience with this and can maybe help?

default{
    state_entry(){
        llOwnerSay("@setenv_ambientr:1.0=force");

llOwnerSay("@setenv_hazehorizon:0.5=force");
        llOwnerSay("@setenv_hazedensity:0.2=force");

llOwnerSay("@setenv_cloudcoverage:0.36=force");
        llOwnerSay("@setenv_cloudscale:0.79=force");

llOwnerSay("@setenv_scenegamma:0.1=force");

llOwnerSay("@setenv_sunscale:1.0=force");

llOwnerSay("@setenv_sunglowfocus:0.75=force");
        llOwnerSay("@setenv_sunglowsize:0.75=force");

llOwnerSay("@setenv_sunazim:50=force");
        llOwnerSay("@setenv_sunelev:PI=force");
        llOwnerSay("@setenv_sunmooncolor:1.0;0.0;0.0=force");
    }
}

Screenshot_2023-10-19_at_00.28.57.png

• Like 1

Well, there's a very handy Experience function, llReplaceAgentEnvironment, that can do all this stuff for an individual using normal Environment objects instead of tweaking each setting individually, saving a lot of effort. Thing is, the user needs to enable the scripted Experience rather than RLV. (I suppose RLV could force-attach the scripted object to trigger the environment change, but they'd still need to enable the Experience for it to take effect.)

One thing that's very cool about scripting environmental effects is that, with somewhat realistic transition times, you can give the individual observer a real sense that the weather is changing—a storm coming in over the water, say—that can trigger a visceral response that's more immersive than just plopping down in the middle of a storm. It also works to abruptly change lighting conditions for an individual participant in response to some act they've performed.

To the original question, I don't know from RLV, but any chance the commands are actually skyglowfocus and skyglowsize? That seems more like the values for llSetEnvironment's SKY_GLOW parameter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Well, there's a very handy Experience function, llReplaceAgentEnvironment, that can do all this stuff for an individual using normal Environment objects instead of tweaking each setting individually, saving a lot of effort. Thing is, the user needs to enable the scripted Experience rather than RLV. (I suppose RLV could force-attach the scripted object to trigger the environment change, but they'd still need to enable the Experience for it to take effect.)

One thing that's very cool about scripting environmental effects is that, with somewhat realistic transition times, you can give the individual observer a real sense that the weather is changing—a storm coming in over the water, say—that can trigger a visceral response that's more immersive than just plopping down in the middle of a storm. It also works to abruptly change lighting conditions for an individual participant in response to some act they've performed.

To the original question, I don't know from RLV, but any chance the commands are actually skyglowfocus and skyglowsize? That seems more like the values for llSetEnvironment's SKY_GLOW parameter.

The reason I chose RLV over Experience is that experiences requires land, RLV doesn't. I can't more easily prompt people to activate RLV for effect than I can limit my product to only being used on one parcel. I really do wish that LL had gone forward with their notion of global experiences, I know that we are getting KPV storage globally at some point soon™ , but there needs to be more.

I was altering those two settings but it wasn't changing the way I wanted it to. Never mind, I will keep trying.

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis

2 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I really do wish that LL had gone forward with their notion of global experiences, I know that we are getting KPV storage globally at some point soon™ , but there needs to be more.

In this case, full "grid scope" experience might not be necessary if only we had what I called "attachment scope" experiences.

But the Lab officially ignored that proposal very quickly, possibly because I listed KVP as a potential benefit that they were about to enable grid-wide anyway (as I mentioned in the jira) so maybe they thought they'd already gotten most of the win for practically zero effort. I did also specifically mention an Environment experience attachment germane to this thread, among others, but my pen seems to be the kiss of death for good ideas on jira.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.