Unashamedly Bots

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, ArtCurator said:

All I'm advocating for is some kind of transparency whereby LL would email/tell all avatars that are being flagged as bots that that is the case. Not just silently change their status "behind the scenes" where for all outward appearances in the Account Settings, it still says "run by human."

You make it sound like this happens all the time and is such a nuisance that this supposed transparency is not only desired, but necessary. You're making a bigger issue out of it than it actually is.

I seriously doubt there are very many accounts mistakenly internally flagged as bots by LL. For the, highly likely less than a handful and a half, that might find themselves there, the fix is quite simple. One contact to LL, problem solved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

You make it sound like this happens all the time and is such a nuisance that this supposed transparency is not only desired, but necessary. You're making a bigger issue out of it than it actually is.

I seriously doubt there are very many accounts mistakenly internally flagged as bots by LL. For the, highly likely less than a handful and a half, that might find themselves there, the fix is quite simple. One contact to LL, problem solved. 

If it happened to Phil, who is totally shameless, I mean blameless, I can only imagine how many others it happens to.

Some accounts are internally flagged as bots without ever being bots and without knowing anything about it. No doubt some accounts were used as bots in the past and were internally flagged at the time without being told or forcibly logged out, so they had no idea, although I can't imagine why an account would be flagged as a bot and left where it is without any action taken, either by communication or by being forcibly logged out. I have multiple examples of both of those.

I don't know anything about the 'no scripted agents' option that LL provided for non-mainland, but I do know about the AGENT_AUTOMATED flag. When it's used in a script that bans scripted agents, then it's the script that does it, and nothing at the system end can determine why the avatar has been banned. So I don't see how LL could send a message to the avatar that it's been recognised as a scripted agent. There isn't an LSL function to specifically ban a scripted agent.

Scripts that remove scripted agents could send a dialog message to the 'victim' that it's been banned because it has been recognised as a scripted agent, and what it can do about it. Then a non-bot user knows why, and can take it up with a support ticket. It's really up to the scripter to include such a message, but most scripts probably won't do it. I'll add a message option to my device in the changes that I'm still in the process of making.

The bottom line is that the SL system can't tell that an avatar has been banned because it's a scripted agent, and can't send an appropriate message.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.