How does the modify permission for objects work?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the first time, I made a product consisting of scripted objects that I want to offer for sale on MP. I am trying to make a demo. I made the script no-modify, and I made the prim that it was in no-modify. Then, I gave it to an alt. Even though the object was no-modify, and it said on the General tab of her edit window that she could not modify it, she was able to drag the script from the object to her inventory, but she could not drag it back into the object. It didn't matter because the script was no-modify.

I would have expected that content could not be removed from a no-modify object, but it can. Is this intended behavior?

Edited by Jennifer Boyle

When your alt dragged the script into its inventory, the object was not modified. The script was copied from the contents. The script still exists in the object.

If you want to prevent that, make the script no-copy. Naturally this means the whole object will become no-modify and no-copy, because of its contents.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

When your alt dragged the script into its inventory, the object was not modified. The script was copied from the contents. The script still exists in the object.

If you want to prevent that, make the script no-copy. Naturally this means the whole object will become no-modify and no-copy, because of its contents.

The script was no copy and was no longer in the object after she dragged it into her inventory.

Setting Perms before sale.  Upon completion of a scripted build it is common to make the script copy only .

Edit > contents > Perms>yes copy and yes mod and apply. Now right click the script in content and set its perms alone to copy only. Now edit the build with a right click and make it yes copy yes mod. Take to inventory. Right click the object in inventory. You will see yes mod has unticked itself. Re tick the yes mod in the item sat in inv. Now its yes copy yes mod for next owner but with your script yes copy only and safe from plagarism. The really important thing to get is that a yes copy yes mod item with a yes copy only script inside will lose its yes mod availablity when taken back into inv and yes mod must be reticked in inv.

People get hacked off by no mod which is why I prefer to keep my stuffs yes copy yes mod available to purchasers but with the scripts (hours of brain ache lol) protected by yes copy only so they can't be opened. There are other ways to do this, of course,  I'm just sharing my preferred way of setting perms.

Edited by rasterscan
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.