New book about SL: "Making a Metaverse That Matters"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I'm not familiar with this concept but judging purely how the term is used in this thread, it seems to me that "Escape From Freedom" has two very different - opposite even - meanings.

In a game the purpose of the rules is to create challenges. They limit your options and you still have to figure out a way to finish your tasks.

In HOA style settings like Bellisseria the purpose of the rules is to eliminate challenges. Everything is laid out for you and all you have to do is sit back and (presumably) enjoy.

i put it in another way

the game of chess. Out of the box, it has a recognised set of rules that govern the movement of the pieces. The players attempt to win the game by moving the pieces accordingly. In this context it can be classed as Escape From Freedom

the Escape To Freedom chess game, is where before each game, the players decide between themselves how the pieces can move

of the two methods of play, the first method (Escape From Freedom) is that most preferred by the most number of players

[edit add]

like you are saying it is important to compare like-for-like. So I use this chess example in a like-for-like manner. Same when I earlier compared Bellisaria to Traditional mainland

Edited by elleevelyn
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 1:09 AM, diamond Marchant said:

It is available but Amazon no longer allows you to purchase kindle things on your iOS device. I was able buy it on a laptop and send it to my iPad. Seems goofy,.

Update: prolly this is to avoid having to pay Apple a percentage of the amount paid

I commented the post about no kindle version available with a laugh, because it sounded so funny that you can't get such of all the books on Kindle, but checked on my Android phone, and, yes, can buy.

I'm curious but not sure yet, though, the kindle version is €10 cheaper than paperback, but €20 is still a proud price if it's more like a collection of blog writings than an academic work or Shakespearean play, compared to what other books I could get for that price. I'll follow the thread and ponder it a while longer.

For the records, I also hope that Philip won't "come around" (unless literally,  I hope "they" all come around and hang out incognito often enough to still have valid up-to-date perceptions), or let's say, that he won't come around too much, it doesn't have to be all or nothing, even though it's definitely difficult to impossible to please too many different people and expectations.

• Like 1

In June 2003, a new community appeared on the Internet. It wasn't a Web forum or a hot new blog. It was a fully 3D virtual world where people could create an avatar, buy a house, wear fancy clothes, fall in love, and fly. For context, this is months before the world would ever hear the word "Myspace."

Twenty years later, Second Life remains one of the most vibrant online spaces ever created. While small compared to other social juggernauts, Second Life is home to thousands of fascinating subcultures and creators - many of whom make a fantastic IRL living from selling their art, clothes, and animations in-world. The financial symbiosis between the platform and the players who make everything on it remains unique to this day, even in a world of endless MMOs and live service video games.

Wagner James Au is also a guest on this podcast:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/second-life-turns-20-and-its-still-the-metaverse/id1285444706?i=1000620472875

• Thanks 2

On 7/11/2023 at 10:51 AM, AzureWaves said:

This is such a great podcast!  I am listening now, about an hour into the 92 minute play and it is interesting and refreshing to hear all the stories.  Nuttin we don't already know as residents (except the definition of TTP, I had never heard that before, LOL.  Guess cuz I am not a dude!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.