Parcel privacy

Leanna Banana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there!  Is there some sort of spyware that let's people see into parcels that are hidden. Ive had a couple occasions where someone was able to see avatars inside the parcel. I was able to see him too when you can't  see avatars outside the parcel when set to hidden. 

Personally, whenever there's a problem, I assume it's a bug. It would take a fantastic amount of evidence before I'd ever consider "spyware" as a possible explanation.

Also, I wonder if this is all happening at ground level or not. If I recall correctly, this feature was originally only supposed to work up to 50m above ground level. I never use it at all myself and never encounter it at higher altitude, but for some reason I'm thinking it's now supposed to work regardless of height. Somebody who actually uses it will know (or if it's desperate enough, I can fence off a corner somewhere and test it to find out).

Finally, and just for completeness because it's pretty common knowledge: The feature only affects visibility of avatars (and stuff they're sitting on) and doesn't hide anybody's identity on the minimap, "radar", scripts, etc. 

Edited by Qie Niangao

Yes I am aware of this. We are ground level and the guy was hovering and being a bit perverted and I knew by his IM he could see into our parcel then when I cammed him I could see him too when I shouldn't be able to because the parcel is hidden. He was the only guy I could see everyone else was invisible as it should be. 

1 hour ago, Leanna Banana said:

Yes I am aware of this. We are ground level and the guy was hovering and being a bit perverted and I knew by his IM he could see into our parcel then when I cammed him I could see him too when I shouldn't be able to because the parcel is hidden. He was the only guy I could see everyone else was invisible as it should be. 

Are you completely sure he wasn't actually on your parcel?  You might be encountering this bug:  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-37601

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To elaborate on one of @LittleMe Jewell's points, it's possible for the "agent" associated with his avatar to be on the parcel, but the avatar may appear outside the parcel.

I think that wouldn't be possible if he couldn't access the parcel at all, but if he could, this effect could occur with him sitting on an object with a sit position outside the parcel, or an animation that displaces the visual representation of the avatar far from the agent's actual location. I believe in these cases his dot on the minimap would migrate inside the parcel, although I'm not sure what that would show if he were to sit on a child link of an assembly rooted in the parcel.

(Historically there have been a large number of edge cases where it was possible to get a sat-upon object onto a parcel even when the land is set to no object entry. These have been whittled away over time but there's no telling if every possible way has been found and stopped.)

14 hours ago, Leanna Banana said:

sounds like time for a block and ban and never worry about him again... or maybe even an AR depending on the content of his IM....

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.