unscheduled maintenance to login system ?

romantomas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What´s happening now?

I read this and I don´t understand? all users are having problems to login?

"Investigating - We are conducting unscheduled maintenance to our login system which will prevent access to the Second Life viewer and web dashboard . We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and please watch this blog for updates."

Yeah...  I might have been the start of that.  3 tickets in.  I was logged inworld AND on the website when other accounts started opening instead of mine on the website.  Each refresh was a different account on the website.  I was actually in other people's accounts and had no idea where mine went.  Unable to change password because each time I logged in, it wasn't me until I could no longer log in at all.

Anyway.  Moments of panic later, I was back in mine.  It lasted about 20 minutes.  They were researching what happened. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Yeah...  I might have been the start of that.  3 tickets in.  I was logged inworld AND on the website when other accounts started opening instead of mine on the website.  Each refresh was a different account on the website.  I was actually in other people's accounts and had no idea where mine went.  Unable to change password because each time I logged in, it wasn't me until I could no longer log in at all.

Anyway.  Moments of panic later, I was back in mine.  It lasted about 20 minutes.  They were researching what happened. 

Excuse me? In other people's accounts? OK the bit that you could not change passwords is ... less than reassuring but something. I guess.

ETA erm no shenanigans implied

Edited by sirhc DeSantis

To change passwords one needs to enter their existing password. While in someone else's account via computer glitch you would still need their password to change it...

While it is a good idea to change one's password periodically, I'm not sure this glitch is a cause to change now. My idea of dealing with computer issues is to change as little as possible when things are wonky. I'll wait until I know things are working correctly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

While it is a good idea to change one's password periodically,

It is not a good idea.That idea is dead in 100% of sane authentication guidelines by now. (e.g. NIST Digital Identity Guidelines and others).

The current recommendation everywhere is more like:

• Have a unique strong (long, aka 15-25 chars passphrase or so) password
  • Use MFA
  • Change the password Only IF you assume some breach has happend

Edit: Well doing a voluntary change is fine. Forcing a periodic change is useless.

Edited by Kathrine Jansma
Details
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.