Asus ROG about to be launched next month. Possibly ideal for running SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/21/2023 at 5:34 PM, Rohan Dockal said:

Wondering what you all think of this device for running SL?

The AMD APU is really good, the iGPU is as fast as many lower end discrete graphics cards, but I think I'd prefer it in a laptop for SL and I doubt a laptop with that APU would cost any more than the handheld gaming device.

I've just bought a device that is a handheld gaming device / laptop hybrid, and it has a similar (somewhat faster APU) to the Asus ROG Ally (Mine: https://www.gpd.hk/gpdwinmax2 )

It is definitely a very capable machine for Secondlife, frame rate rarely drops below 20FPS even on a packed sim with 50+ avatars nearby, and that is with graphics set to high. On a less demanding sim or skybox, the frame rate often exceeds 100FPS.

Not sure if it is necessarily the cheapest route to Secondlife though, 7840u/7640u/Z1 APUs are optimised for efficiency and portability rather than price, e.g. they are fabricated on TSMC's 4nm node, which is expensive. If you don't mind having a big heavy laptop with poor battery life, you'll probably get something that performs just as well in Secondlife for less money.

Edited by filz Camino

4 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

You can go first.

i already have done. Unlike some people i suspect, i'm speaking from direct experience of owning one of these devices. The new AMD 7000 series APUs are actually designed for handheld gaming, and it shows in their performance.

Watch and learn!

Edited by filz Camino

Yes there is no doubt that the 680M and 780M are actually capable iGPUs and probably would do mostly-okay with SL on par with entry level dedicated GPUs.

They're rare beasts though, AMD mobile CPUs in general aren't exactly easy to find. Hopefully that changes.

All that said Intel are now equipping their own mobile CPUs with genuinely capable GPUs (Iris Xe and Arc) so this integrated graphics laptop segment  is finally getting some good options.

• 1 month later...

Don’t believe the naysayers to the handheld devices. None have actually used a modern handheld to be credible with their opinions, which are based on using integrated graphics on a laptop cpu. 

I have the Legion Go which has the same core hardware as the ROG Ally, but with a bigger, higher resolution screen. My experience with the device for SL is really good.  I run SL at 2560x1600 on high settings with advanced lighting on and shadows off and I get between 33 and 42 frames in Firestorm. The joycons can be used for movement and if you don’t want to bother with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard the onscreen keyboard can be detached from the taskbar and used as a keyboard for chat. The performance between a Legion Go and a ROG Ally are very close with the same settings in most other games so I would estimate your experience will be similar. Though I think the Legion Go with its bigger higher rez screen will be nicer. I love this device, and being able to take this on the go and still connect with friends in SL is nice.

I also use a desktop with an i9 13900K 128gb and an RTX 4090 and a Legion Pro 5i laptop with an i9 13900HX 32gb and RTX 4060 for SL. Both devices obviously run circles around the little gaming handheld in every way except for portability. My desktop is easily 60lbs and tied to a desk, my laptop is 5 lbs, but the Legion Go is under 2 lbs. I am finding myself going to that when I am in bed or on the couch more than my laptop. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.