Unable to decode login credentials...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

About two weeks ago both Firestorm and the SL Viewer both stopped being able to decode my login credentials. (I use Firestorm but loaded the SL viewer to see if it had the same problem - It did.)

I hadn't changed anything, and the issue has me beaten at the moment. 

I have tested with anti-virus temp turned off. Firewall doesn't seem to be responsible. I have deleted bin_conf.dat. 

If anyone else has an idea what could cause this issue, I'd be grateful for possible solutions!

This issue is the result of a corrupted file within your settings.  I have only heard of the issue in Firestorm but the same issue is likely to occur in the  LL viewer's settings folder.

Precisely WHICH file I cannot recall but there is an article giving procedure details in the FS wiki and the analogous process would apply for  the LL viewer.

ETA: I think this is the link to the relevant part of the FS wiki:

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_stored_passwords?s[]=fs&s[]=cannot&s[]=decode&s[]=credentials

I see re-reading your post that you have done the first advice given regards the bin_conf.dat file so maybesome of the other suggestions may be relevant?

Edited by Aishagain

2 hours ago, Aishagain said:

This issue is the result of a corrupted file within your settings.  I have only heard of the issue in Firestorm but the same issue is likely to occur in the  LL viewer's settings folder.

Precisely WHICH file I cannot recall but there is an article giving procedure details in the FS wiki and the analogous process would apply for  the LL viewer.

ETA: I think this is the link to the relevant part of the FS wiki:

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_stored_passwords?s[]=fs&s[]=cannot&s[]=decode&s[]=credentials

I see re-reading your post that you have done the first advice given regards the bin_conf.dat file so maybesome of the other suggestions may be relevant?

Yes I went through all of that without solving the issue, making it more of a mystery. 

When you ask a tech question we need the details of your viewer and computer. Otherwise, we are guessing... and even with the details, we may have to guess.

Use the viewer's HELP->About... to collect the info we need. Paste that info with your question.

Make sure your computer is updated and showing the correct time.

Windows has software to encrypt and decrypt network data, as does Apple. The viewer uses that software in its communication. Make sure the computer is up-to-date and restart it.

This is due to a corrupted/otherwise borked file in the Firestorm settings folder. I can't remember which one exactly but it will be in /Users/yourusername/AppData/Roaming/Firestormx64

It seems to happen if you have two versions of Firestorm installed and use them, they will share the same settings folder above and can sometimes mess with each other. A reinstall should fix it however, it doesn't really seem to matter though unless you like your login name and password to be saved.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.