my avatar was hacked

anandaheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

yesterday I logged in I found my avatar was hacked in the night (my timezone Western Europe) inworld, friends notified me on facebook and discord too. I was added to mature groups, no lindens were taken but there was spamming in groups I am part of. I reset my security, changed password and email right away. Is there more I can do? 

I never click links inworld, I have no idea how this happened. I am in SL since 2009, this has never happend before. I am always very careful. Anyone got any ideas on it? Thank you

2 answers to this question

You're probably not going to be able to figure out how someone got into your account, but there are steps you should take now.  You have already done one important one: changing your password.  You should probably also consider using MFA.  I resisted that step myself, but it has turned out to be only a very mild annoyance. About once every couple of weeks, I have to type in a 6 digit code from my security software -- I use Authy, but there are many other good, free services -- and then just continue as usual.  It's an easy, practically painless security step.

You should also report your problem immediately to LL.  Follow the advice here: 

LL will lock the account temporarily while they poke around to see if there are clues to what happened, and they will help you recover things that you may have lost, to the extent that it's possible.  If there are clues about who managed to get your account details, they'll try to track them down.

It sounds like you have been pretty careful and have been lucky.  I know this is unsettling, but it could have been more serious.  

• Like 3

It's also important to report it because whoever got control of your account may have used it to commit ToS violations...for example, by posting phishing links to lure others. You are responsible for what's done with your account, but by reporting the compromise you are at least showing that any such actions were not intentional on your part, thus reducing the chances of getting a ban from LL.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.