Random stutters/freezing on Firestorm 6.6.8 (68380) when turning the camera/moving.

Kitty Aeghin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just adding that I found viewer performance far more stable with no stutters at a busy dancing club where I have previously found stuttering when new arrivals enter and while camming around.  There is a large improvement in perceived performance with dynamic texture memory disabled for me.  Of course YMMV.

Edited by Aishagain

23 hours ago, Cali Souther said:

The latest Firestorm has been nothing but trouble for me!   Same computer,  so....  

Freeze, kicks, lose all my settings!   I get kicked out,  come back and my clothes are different colors,  etc.

Very frustrating!  

I suggest you remove the viewer and do a clean install of FS. Lots of us use the latest FS (6.6.8) with no problem. I would take a hard look at your Windows system and make sure it is OK. Make sure all your updates are in and the video driver is current.

Run SFC (System File Check). Then run CHKDSK 😄 /R, ( C followed by a colon NOT a happy face) which takes hours. If your computer is years old then the chkdsk can find disk surface problems and repair them. I recommend a system backup or at least making a system restore point before running the /R option. This is not something to bother with on a new computer or SSD.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
Trying to kill the happy face.... C:
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I suggest you remove the viewer and do a clean install of FS. Lots of us use the latest FS (6.6.8) with no problem. I would take a hard look at your Windows system and make sure it is OK. Make sure all your updates are in and the video driver is current.

Run SFC (System File Check). Then run CHKDSK 😄 /R, ( C followed by a colon NOT a happy face) which takes hours. If your computer is years old then the chkdsk can find disk surface problems and repair them. I recommend a system backup or at least making a system restore point before running the /R option. This is not something to bother with on a new computer or SSD.

Thank you!   I did do a clean install ...   hoping that helps a lot.   I lost several items from my inventory and all my settings were erased... so weird.  I've never had issues in the past.

I  have a fairly new high end computer,  but I will certainly take your advice and give it some checking!  ;)    Thank you!

On 4/10/2023 at 2:25 PM, Cali Souther said:

Thank you!   I did do a clean install ...   hoping that helps a lot.   I lost several items from my inventory and all my settings were erased... so weird.  I've never had issues in the past.

I  have a fairly new high end computer,  but I will certainly take your advice and give it some checking!  ;)    Thank you!

Changing the viewer or doing a clean-install will not cause inventory loss. You can add a new viewer, say Catznip, and it will have the same inventory as your previous viewers. Inventory is kept on the SL servers. The viewer downloads ONLY an access list to your inventory. Any inventory lost is actually lost on the Linden side of things and is very rare. HOWEVER, viewer caches do get corrupted. Firestorm has enough of a problem with that such that they wrote a wiki page about how to recover APPARENTLY LOST inventory. You can ask for the link in FS Support Group in-world.

Settings... FS has the option to let you back up your viewer settings. A good idea. Especially if you do lots of tweaks to the viewer. But when troubleshooting wait to restore settings until you know if the clean install fixed the problem, as the problem is often in the settings.

One thing to check is the folder C:\Windows\System32\SRU. The Diagnostic Policy Service has been and often still is a problem in Win10 & 11. A check to see if that may be the problem is to look in C:\Windows\System32\SRU. There should be less than a dozen files in the folder and the .DAT file should be 2-digit MB at largest, not GB. If that is a problem, it would likely be the source of the mini-freezes.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 11:49 AM, benchthis said:

If your able to in preferences you can increase your internet speed settings. I can't remember which Linden meeting it was in the past regarding a problem with the cache processor not being able to keep up with max internet speeds, bottlenecks and generates undesired performance issues. I usually bump my cache up to 8 gigs or max and I try not to max the internet speed because of the bottle neck issue. 

I'll try that then and see if it helps. 

On 4/15/2023 at 1:24 PM, Kitty Aeghin said:

I'll try that then and see if it helps. 

Your viewer can keep up with any Internet speed. My connection can deliver 250mbps and my 7-year-old i5 keeps up. The Internet is NOT a firehose blasting data at the viewer. The viewer requests the data it needs and has to wait for it to download. So the faster your connection the better.

Most viewer problems related to your connection are bandwidth limits (volume of data) and latency (lag). Deliberately trying to slow or limit your connection is likely to add to your problems.

In the old days, the viewer had a Max Bandwidth for UDP data transfer setting that was important. That is not the case since the Lab changed the data transfer to the HTTP protocol. And back then it was about the SL backend servers NOT keeping up with the viewer, not the viewer keeping up with the server's data stream. So the old recommendations to tweak the Max Bandwidth setting are pointless. Use either the FS recommendation of 1500 or the Linden recommendation of 3500.

The Firestorm Team still has the equation up on their wiki for calculating the OPTIMUM Max B setting based on your connection speed. But they recommend a max setting 1500. Today most people's connection speeds calc to something much higher. So most of us skip the calc and try 1500 and 3500 and see if we notice a difference. I don't.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.