stumped on cellshading

Channibal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What you've shown (and what the video is about) is a custom shader. Second Life doesn't support these things at all.

Since you mentioned an "outline," you're probably thinking of this effect. Essentially, this is done by creating a duplicate (slightly larger) mesh "shell" with inverted normals (face direction). No need to touch materials in Blender unless you're doing something more complex than single-color-outline.

• Like 2

You can learn the way to do it with rezzed prims.

Rez a sphere. Rez another in exactly the same spot, make that one a bit bigger (say 0.55 if the first is 0.5).

Set the larger sphere maximum hollow and cam inside to give it a colour and a bit of glow on the inner face; the cell shading effect. Now set its outside transparent. A cell-shaded sphere!

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 6:11 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I believe the technical name for it is 'the inverted hull method'. Minor pet peeve of mine is that it's colloquially called cell shading for products that use it in SL, even though cell shading is a completely different thing entirely.

Something like cell shading can be emulated with extreme environmental parameters (Low gamma, no light-sources except sun, high sky ambience), but that applies to everything, not just a single object, and is a bit "trippy" unless a region is designed around it, and it might not even work anymore when PBR rolls out.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I believe the technical name for it is 'the inverted hull method'...

Ahh... I wanted to call it something else but had no idea what; I'm not comfortable using the wrong terms for things. I think though if I say 'inverted hull method' to anyone else all I'll get is a blank stare until I say, "cell shading" with a defeated eye roll. Don't think I'll win that one now.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I believe the technical name for it is 'the inverted hull method'. Minor pet peeve of mine is that it's colloquially called cell shading for products that use it in SL, even though cell shading is a completely different thing entirely.

Something like cell shading can be emulated with extreme environmental parameters (Low gamma, no light-sources except sun, high sky ambience), but that applies to everything, not just a single object, and is a bit "trippy" unless a region is designed around it, and it might not even work anymore when PBR rolls out.

On 3/14/2023 at 3:11 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

What you've shown (and what the video is about) is a custom shader. Second Life doesn't support these things at all.

Since you mentioned an "outline," you're probably thinking of this effect. Essentially, this is done by creating a duplicate (slightly larger) mesh "shell" with inverted normals (face direction). No need to touch materials in Blender unless you're doing something more complex than single-color-outline.

no wonder i couldn't figure it out thinking it was cell shading! thank you for the pointers 

19 hours ago, Rick Nightingale said:

You can learn the way to do it with rezzed prims.

Rez a sphere. Rez another in exactly the same spot, make that one a bit bigger (say 0.55 if the first is 0.5).

Set the larger sphere maximum hollow and cam inside to give it a colour and a bit of glow on the inner face; the cell shading effect. Now set its outside transparent. A cell-shaded sphere!

will give this a try. much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the video you showed us, they are using texture maps. All you have to do is one more step, and that is to use the rendering engine to burn the texture maps onto the mesh. Then upload the mesh and texture maps.  Also if you don't want to use blender for this, I have found that Substance Painter tends to work a lot better for this kind of thing. 

On 3/16/2023 at 6:01 AM, Rick Nightingale said:

Ahh... I wanted to call it something else but had no idea what; I'm not comfortable using the wrong terms for things. I think though if I say 'inverted hull method' to anyone else all I'll get is a blank stare until I say, "cell shading" with a defeated eye roll. Don't think I'll win that one now.

Yeah, like me when I read "mesher".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.