Script to invoke touch on an object we are wearing

Cesar Lighthouse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm really not sure what you are asking for. Should I assume that you are wearing a scripted attachment that does something when you click on it? Did you write the script that's in the attachment, or do you at least have permission to edit it? Are you asking about how to make a HUD that you will wear, or is it a HUD that someone else will wear?  It's hard to know how to advise you without having a better idea of what you are trying to do.

I am going to take a wild guess that the OP is using RLV attachments and wants to have a HUD (for himself or maybe someone else) that will allow the user to remove the attachments selectively without actually touching them.  To do that, he'd need to have permission to modify the RLV scripts so that they respond to chat instead of touch, and he'd have to script the HUD to send appropriate messages to those scripts (or, indirectly, to the wearer).  That's doable and not terribly hard, but it does assume that he has the right perms to mess with the scripts.

2 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Hypothetically a viewer could support being told to touch a specific attachment via a script API, but I don't think any viewers do.

There is super slim possibility that we might be convinced to add it to RLVa, but it would be for touching your own attachments only and never anyone else's. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is super slim possibility that we might be convinced to add it to RLVa, but it would be for touching your own attachments only and never anyone else's. 

It seems more like a scripted agent type of thing rather than a RLV thing, and IMO those need different protocols. As a different example, a 'scripted agent command' to send an IM to someone is pretty universal capability, it would destroy RLV if not over-managed with permissions though.

Edited by Quistess Alpha

Nothing related with RLV. Just imagine this as an example. I am wearing an item that does something when i touch it. The item is small and i have to be still to touch it. I did not create this item, cannot change it or change its script.

So what if i could create a hud with a button that when i touch the button it would trigger the touch event in that item I am wearing?

Its this kind of problem.
I have not found yet any way to solve it.

1 hour ago, Quistess Alpha said:

It seems more like a scripted agent type of thing rather than a RLV thing, and IMO those need different protocols. As a different example, a 'scripted agent command' to send an IM to someone is pretty universal capability, it would destroy RLV if not over-managed with permissions though.

Yes .. and there is also a lot of variability to touch .. it's not just a thing that happens to a whole object like a trigger, so anything automated would have to factor in where on which face and for how long and and .. 

I'm loathed to do anything that makes a full fat RLVa viewer into a better bot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Hypothetically a viewer could support being told to touch a specific attachment via a script API, but I don't think any viewers do.

(not even Cool VL viewer has that functionality. https://sldev.free.fr/CoolVLViewerLuaManual.pdf )

I actually considered implementing a Lua function for it... It was a (long) while ago, and I do not remember all the gory details which made me push the idea farther down my ”ToDo” list, but chances are they are related with how touch-events are dealt with, between viewer and server (asynchronous tasks are involved, with network messaging, which, while not impossible to deal with, do complicate things).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I use that function so rarely that I forget that it's a thing.  That's a good idea.

I used that a lot because some AO keeps moving my avi around so rapidly it's really annoying to snipe a moving pixel 😂

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.