Getting around block with /shout

Gwen Zenfold

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I placed someone on block due to some harassment, at which they then started using /shout to seemingly get around it..  I tested with a friend by putting them on block and seeing if their shouts would still show up, and they do.  Is this a bug, and if it isn't how do I completely disable all forms of communication from this person?

I'm on firestorm viewer

• Sad 1

8 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Gwen Zenfold said:

I placed someone on block due to some harassment, at which they then started using /shout to seemingly get around it..  I tested with a friend by putting them on block and seeing if their shouts would still show up, and they do.  Is this a bug, and if it isn't how do I completely disable all forms of communication from this person?

I'm on firestorm viewer

Where were you when the shouting wasn't blocked?  Could it have been at a place that had a chat extender?  Many large places will use a chat extender to.allow the entire place to hear what everyone says.  You'd have to block each extender.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Where were you when the shouting wasn't blocked?  Could it have been at a place that had a chat extender?  Many large places will use a chat extender to.allow the entire place to hear what everyone says.  You'd have to block each extender.

It's the same map, and I have logged in and out as well as gone to other places such as stores, and it still shows the blocked person's new shouts.

Just now, Gwen Zenfold said:

It's the same map, and I have logged in and out as well as gone to other places such as stores, and it still shows the blocked person's new shouts.

Are they showing in the chat window?  Do you happen to have Show Muted Chat checked.in that window?

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Are they showing in the chat window?  Do you happen to have Show Muted Chat checked.in that window?

It shows on the bottom of the screen, as well as in my chat window.  I don't think I have muted chat turned on, but I don't really know how to turn that on or off in firestorm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

There's an icon at the top of the chat window that turns it off or on.

If that's not the problem, you should probably file a bug jira on the Firestorm website or ask in Firestorm group chat.

Thank you, I found the icon and turned it both on and off just to be sure, and it seems to still be showing.  I will put in a bug report.  Thanks again.

I could not replicate this. I tried blocking an alt. When blocked, I could no longer receive her local chat, whether spoken or SHOUTED. I tried using both /shout and the CTRL+ENTER shortcut. Firestorm viewer, although I'm pretty sure all the viewers use the same code for this.

EDIT: The test was done on the Caledon Oxbridge University region.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.