Building Buildings

IvyTechEngineer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, IvyTechEngineer said:

ok, I attempted to create a single texture map for the UV map of the house and I got this. I think it is ok. Not sure why  some of the images bleed over to the other islands...

In the Bake panel > Margin > change the Type from Adjacent Faces to Extend.

MarginType-min.thumb.png.489a804fb0636ca794bdc746df3186f9.png

Edited by Aquila Kytori

2 hours ago, IvyTechEngineer said:

What it looks like in Second Life

You're flying now :)

You should try uploading the individual seamless image textures to SL, apply them to the appropriate faces, adjust the horizontal and vertical scale and compare the quality of the textures with this building that uses the baked single image texture.

Edited by Aquila Kytori

1 hour ago, Aquila Kytori said:

Your flying now :)

You should try uploading the individual seamless image textures to SL, apply them to the appropriate faces, adjust the horizontal and vertical scale and compare the quality of the textures with this building that uses the baked single image texture.

ok, I will give it a try to see what it looks like. I was very pleased with the results so far, just a little tricky to do it. I will also change the margin type to extend. The YouTube videos that were helpful were

and

I was able to combine multiple images textures and materials into a single image 2K image and then use that as the image texture for the final version I uploaded into SL. 

I didn't find a single video on how to do everything but it was my first attempt at using nodes. 

The image I had before had a stronger green undertone, 24A43B, which I assume I could add to the outside wall somehow ... need to research this a little more ...

Just a note to this thread which may have already been said somewhere.  

Baking to a 2048 x 2048 works very well.  A bunch of us did some testing a couple of years ago and unless it has changed the uploader does a better job of turning that into a 1024 image (maxium more or less in SL) than our various graphics programs --- but might be worth testing.  

In order to get things to bake well (assuming a lot of THAT hasn't changed with the new version) there is a lot of tweaking of numbers and moving of lights etc to get things working. LIGHTING is especially important so don't be discouraged and keep trying.   

Also depending on the building you most likely would NOT want to put ALL your textures on a single image -- for a house (furniture is mostly fine) because you would have enough pixel area to look good.  So in that case maybe "interior walls and floor ------ exterior and trims  ---  roof and ceiling?  It all depends on the build and the size of the building.  

That's just a general statement, not about this build in particular.  Many many tricks to get it all working and it takes awhile to find YOUR best method.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just a note to this thread which may have already been said somewhere.  

Baking to a 2048 x 2048 works very well.  A bunch of us did some testing a couple of years ago and unless it has changed the uploader does a better job of turning that into a 1024 image (maxium more or less in SL) than our various graphics programs --- but might be worth testing.  

In order to get things to bake well (assuming a lot of THAT hasn't changed with the new version) there is a lot of tweaking of numbers and moving of lights etc to get things working. LIGHTING is especially important so don't be discouraged and keep trying.   

Also depending on the building you most likely would NOT want to put ALL your textures on a single image -- for a house (furniture is mostly fine) because you would have enough pixel area to look good.  So in that case maybe "interior walls and floor ------ exterior and trims  ---  roof and ceiling?  It all depends on the build and the size of the building.  

That's just a general statement, not about this build in particular.  Many many tricks to get it all working and it takes awhile to find YOUR best method.   

I really appreciate your advice on this topic. I wanted to document the workflow of texturing this small house as an example. This forum has been extremely helpful. SL has probably one of the best methods to help users with questions and advice. I have very little artistic ability and maybe this cannot be taught but this forum has really helped.

Back when I started building in Second Life I was trying to recreate what others had done who are no longer active members in Second Life. It has been challenging because even the best of us, including me, may not fully document the steps we took to build and design things so we can repeat and share how they did it. I have searched high and low for info (Google and YouTube) and came across a few sources but not many of them ...

Thanks to everyone for you help in my education, lol

Cheers

IvyTechEngineer

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 10:32 PM, IvyTechEngineer said:

The image I had before had a stronger green undertone, 24A43B, which I assume I could add to the outside wall somehow ... need to research this a little more ...

My search didn't come up with a lot of options. The simplest I found was something like the gif below,  using a custom group from Markus von Broadys answer on the Blender Stack exchange.

https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/222387/changing-colours-precisely-procedurally

replace_colour1.thumb.gif.c30a3a4d04d83eb97583ce804389214d.gif

I think it would be simpler and get a better result using Gimp or PS.

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. I think the original SM House had an outside wood plank wall texture on a green background but I do not know how I did it nor where the texture came from, lol I believe I use Photoshop vs Blender and the nodes. I have attempted to search for it using www.tineye.com and the Google image search but I cannot find it. I do remember looking at many old green wood textures on Google. I could find very little info in the metadata except the image was originally taken 11/7/2010 and is 3260 by 2396 with 72 dpi. Some of the Camera info is also provided ... Maybe it is time to learn a little more about Photoshop.

Thanks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.