Another json question

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

According to https://jsonlint.com, this (which is an edited version of something I'm receiving from a remote server) is valid json

{
	"playlists": [{
		"id": "some key",
		"title": "Playlist 1",
		"description": null,
		"trackCount": 20
	}, {
		"id": "another key",
		"title": "Playlist 2",
		"description": null,
		"trackCount": 30
	}]
}

However, this returns JSON_INVALID,  as does a similar test of the unescaped body I receive in the http_response event.

string test = "{
    \"playlists\": [{
        \"id\": \"some key\",
        \"title\": \"Playlist 1\",
        \"description\": null,
        \"trackCount\": 20
    }, {
        \"id\": \"another key\",
        \"title\": \"Playlist 2\",
        \"trackCount\": 30
    }
    ]
}";

string json_type2string(string s)
{
    if(s==JSON_OBJECT)
    {   return "JSON_OBJECT";
    }else if(s==JSON_ARRAY)
    {   return "JSON_ARRAY";
    }else if(s==JSON_NUMBER)
    {   return "JSON_NUMBER";
    }else if(s==JSON_STRING)
    {   return "JSON_STRING";
    }else if(s==JSON_NULL)
    {   return "JSON_NULL";
    }else if(s==JSON_TRUE)
    {   return "JSON_TRUE";
    }else if(s==JSON_FALSE)
    {   return "JSON_FALSE";
    }else if(s==JSON_DELETE)
    {   return "JSON_DELETE";
    }

return "JSON_INVALID";

}

{
    state_entry()
    {
       llOwnerSay(json_type2string(test));
    }
}

I must be missing something obvious, but what is it, please?

You're just comparing your entire JSON string to one of the JSON constants. Since it isn't any of them, it defaults to returning JSON_INVALID.

What you presumably want to do is like llOwnerSay(json_type2string(llJsonValueType(test, []))); which will return the expected JSON_OBJECT; ValueType(test, ["playlists"]) gets you JSON_ARRAY, etc.

Edited by Frionil Fang
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frionil Fang said:

You're just comparing your entire JSON string to one of the JSON constants. Since it isn't any of them, it defaults to returning JSON_INVALID.

Beat me to it, and I jumped out of bed to check! 

{
    state_entry()
    {
    }
}

You really need to call llJsonValueType(): (from https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Json_usage_in_LSL)

string type = llJsonValueType( string json, list specifiers );
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frionil Fang said:

But test is a string.  Are you saying that Innula should only be asking for the JSON type of, say, { \"id\": \"some key\", \"title\": \"Playlist 1\", \"description\": null, \"trackCount\": 20 } ?

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Ah, OK.  You can tell that I don't use JSON myself either.  I'm not comfortable with the syntax yet.

Yeah, I use it every.single.day. with LSL but..I don't use the llJsonValueType() call much..

Sadly, a "string" is JSON_INVALID!

So mostly I just use it to see am I looking at a JSON_OBJECT, JSON_ARRAY, or everything else is a "value". 

1 minute ago, Quistess Alpha said:
18 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

to summarize, change that to

llOwnerSay(json_type2string(llJsonValueType(test)));

Except I got it wrong - it is:

llOwnerSay(json_type2string(llJsonValueType(test, [])));

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Frionil Fang said:

What you presumably want to do is like llOwnerSay(json_type2string(llJsonValueType(test, []))); which will return the expected JSON_OBJECT; ValueType(test, ["playlists"]) gets you JSON_ARRAY, etc.

Not sure if I missed it - but after your editing, your answer is pretty complete! 

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not sure if I missed it - but after your editing, your answer is pretty complete! 

I did the edit immediately after double checking I wasn't making a complete fool of myself before anyone else replied, so dunno!

I took a further look out of curiosity and the JSON_??? constants are indeed valid characters in JSON itself, even if the constants themselves are not valid JSON as is.

This means JsonGetValue would return JSON_INVALID as a response for a value that is valid and JSON_NULL for something that isn't null. Of course, JsonValueType for them is still JSON_STRING, so you would be able to tell if you cared enough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frionil Fang said:

This means JsonGetValue would return JSON_INVALID as a response for a value that is valid and JSON_NULL for something that isn't null. Of course, JsonValueType for them is still JSON_STRING, so you would be able to tell if you cared enough.

Yeah, I was really disappointed that llJsonValueType() returns JSON_INVALID for string values.. (hard to explain - at least it does for me).

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, I was really disappointed that llJsonValueType() returns JSON_INVALID for string values.. (hard to explain - at least it does for me).

Not sure what you mean exactly, but an arbitrary LSL string, i.e. "just some words", is not a valid Javascript object. A "\"string\"", i.e. a Javascript string inside the LSL string, is a valid Javascript object of type JSON_STRING without children. 

2 minutes ago, Frionil Fang said:

Not sure what you mean exactly, but an arbitrary LSL string, i.e. "just some words", is not a valid Javascript object. A "\"string\"", i.e. a Javascript string inside the LSL string, is a valid Javascript object of type JSON_STRING without children. 

I believe that it happens when I iterate elements of a JSON_ARRAY.  A normal "string" value returns JSON_INVALID for the type. (I'm pretty sure, can check that code later, I'm busy scripting now! lol)

Yep..

sTemp = llJsonValueType(sParm, []);               // Get Type        

//////////////
// JSON_ARRAY
        if (sTemp==JSON_ARRAY) {        //Say("Array:");      // Call recursively if Array
        }   // if sType==JSON_ARRAY
//////////////
// JSON_OBJECT - Handle Switch/Case
        else if (sTemp==JSON_OBJECT..) {
        }   // else sType==JSON_OBJECT - Handle Switch/Case

//////////////
// Special case..
        else {  // Else Not JSON_ARRAY or JSON_OBJECT
            if (sTemp==JSON_INVALID...) {
..String are handled here!
			}
		}

Starting to get off topic, but I get JSON_STRING for a valid string's type, whether loose, as an object property or in an array. If it's malformed enough to return JSON_INVALID for the type, I also cannot retrieve the value. No idea without seeing the actual data in question.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frionil Fang said:

Starting to get off topic, but I get JSON_STRING for a valid string's type, whether loose, as an object property or in an array. If it's malformed enough to return JSON_INVALID for the type, I also cannot retrieve the value. No idea without seeing the actual data in question.

Perhaps I'll throw together a complete example next time it comes up. As you said, off topic.

Thanks, everyone.   I'm still not getting it, I'm afraid.

In my example, 

string test = "{
    }, {
    }
    ]
}";

how do I find the value for first "id" key?   I think it ought to be llJsonGetValue("test",["id",0]); but that doesn't work, and neither does anything else I try.

7 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Thanks, everyone.   I'm still not getting it, I'm afraid.

In my example, 

string test = "{
    }, {
    }
    ]
}";

how do I find the value for first "id" key?   I think it ought to be llJsonGetValue("test",["id",0]); but that doesn't work, and neither does anything else I try.

"test" is the name of your variable.

Try:  llJsonGetValue(test, [..what to search for..]);

"id" is not an array, so "0" won't find anything.

What do you want to find?  

"Playlists" is an array, so llJsonGetValue(test, [playlists, 0, id]) would get the first playlist, and the value of "id".

No matter what you are looking for, it appears "playlists" is your only top-level entry. So, no matter what you are looking for, it would have to be ["playlists",..].

Since you only have 2 "playlists" array entries, your choices are ["playlists",0..] and ["playlists",1..].

First level: "playlists": Key for KVP, of which the "value" is JSON_ARRAY.

Next level: JSON_ARRAY, so you must provide an "index" to select an entry in the JSON_ARRAY

Next level: JSON_OBJECT. so provide a "key"..

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

how do I find the value for first "id" key?

LlJsonGetValue(test, ["playlists", 0, "id"]);

It's an array called playlists, with the first member being 0.

If it's in curly braces, it's an object and you seek values by the label:value pairs. If it's square brackets  it's qn array and you seek by 0-based indices. Objects can contain arrays and vice versa.

Edited by Frionil Fang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.