audio sound script help [solved]

SiaNova Portal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

sorry if this is in the wrong area.

So I found this cool ao were every time I walk, run, or crawl an sound loop will play. I thought this to be so cool I tried to make my own. I got it to work but, the sound quality  is far from good.

the quality that I hear sounds like the volume is not only turn down by 20% but mono instead of stereo.

I used online audio converter and made sure I used all the right options. also notice that this AO has no sound files, so where are the sounds coming from? when making mine's I just copy and paste script, added sound file and made the correct renames.

Edited by SiaNova Portal

2 answers to this question

It's hard to answer in detail without seeing the AO itself, but I can offer a couple of general observations that ought to get close:

First, sounds that you upload to SL will almost always play at a lower volume than they do when you play them in RL in something like Audacity, and there's no way to punch the volume up to more than 100%.  Knowing that, you need to make the sound louder before you upload it.  It's a bit of a guessing game, and if you make it too loud then you'll get audio clipping and it will sound raggedy in world.  

The sound in your AO is probably hard-coded into the AO's script as a UUID, rather than playing from a sound file that is added to it.  That means you won't be able to replace it with your own uploaded sound unless you have permission to edit the script (which you quite possibly do not). Of course, if you have (or can write) a LSL script that works with either your sound file or its UUID, then you can use it instead.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

you need to make the sound louder before you upload it.

That's the key bit, and I'll explain how to do it.

• Open your sound file in an audio editor, like Audacity.
  • If you need to, now is the time to adjust the length (must NOT exceed 10 seconds), and change the sampling rate. SL wants it to be in PCM WAV format, 16-bit, 44.1kHz, mono / stereo. You may as well make it mono, since SL will do so when you upload it, if you haven't already done so.
  • Once you've done that, apply a normalization filter. This will increase the maximum volume to just short of clipping. In effect, you're making the sound "as loud as possible".
  • You may also want to apply some compression. This reduces the difference between the softest and the loudest parts of the sound, making it seem louder overall. The downside, of course, is that you lose dynamic range.
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.