Graphic Crashes

Kynraa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

I ran an AMD 6950XT card successfully with Firestorm over 2 years ago with no problems, so it certainly should be possible. Have you checked to see if you have the latest drivers installed?

If you do, then perhaps installing an OLDER graphics driver may help.

The in-world Firestorm help group may have more specific suggestions.

Certain sims/areas cause driver crashes for my RX 6600 (sometimes reliably within a minute of logging in), but I haven't been able to pinpoint any reasons.

When I crash, there's usually not much around me, and tightly packed sims work just fine with high framerates. Plenty of RAM/VRAM left too.

Going somewhere else works well enough so far.

Suggestions:

First, try a standard WebGL demo, "Aquarium".  This shows a nice 3D scene of fish swimming, and exercises the GPU. If there's any crashing, freezing, or glitching on that standard demo, you have a graphics system problem on your computer. Let that run for 5-10 minutes.

Second, try this tough GPU test: https://benchmark.unigine.com/valley

This is a benchmark and stress test for Unreal Engine. It's 10 years old, so it needs resources comparable to what SL needs today. Download and run. Let it run for a while. It looks like a game, but it's just a tour of some nice forest scenery. There's no gameplay. It's intended to exercise the GPU. It shows the GPU temperature and frame rate. The GPU temperature should level off after a few minutes, and the frame rate should not drop. Any crashing, freezing, or glitching means a system graphics problem.

If you can run The Valley, your hardware and software are in good shape. Then it's time to look for viewer bugs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.