We're having trouble connecting.

LavenderTheBody

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Today I have started getting an error on both black dragon and firestorm when I try to log in.  It says they are having trouble connecting and to check my internet. There is literally nothing wrong with my internet. I even did a test to make sure and it said my internet was just fine and I have very high speed internet. I have been having this issue and when it does let me log in, it will get to a point where it crashed me when I try to teleport somewhere. 

this is raggedy .jpg

2 answers to this question

The speed of your Internet connection is more or less irrelevant. What counts is its stability. Unlike games you may have played on line, SL has to be able to pass information between your computer and the Linden Lab servers (actually Amazon AWS now) 45 times a second. If much of the information is lost, corrupted, or delayed, your computer and the servers will be unable to maintain a connection.  You will have trouble teleporting (among other things) and very likely be logged out.

The usual culprits are your modem and router.  Restart both by unplugging them from the power for a minute of so.  Then plug them back in and restart  everything. Often, that's all it takes.  Avoid using a wifi connection if you can.  If that's not possible, at least put your computer close to the router and not on the other side of a wall. If those easy steps don't solve the problem, add a new post to this thread.  Someone will almost certainly have more suggestions.

• Like 1

While you may have a good Internet connection, it is the connection to the SL/AWS servers you need to examine. Using Firestorm you can open HELP->About... and get the server ID/URL you are connected to.

image.png.bb8eef154caf6e7e61cd0ecb5f2d560c.png

Launch  NSLOOKUP in a command window and enter the server name (highlighted above) to get an IP address to test. PING and TRACERT also work.

SpeedTest.net (web app) will test your general Internet connection, ping and speed up & down.

In your viewer's HELP->ABOUT... near the bottom is you network stats. Packet loss should be near zero after a few minutes. While SL is usable with 1% packet loss it is glitchy.

Pressing Ctrl-Shift-1 will open the viewer's stats. Important network stuff is near the top. If Server FPS is <45 and Time dilation is <1 the region is lagging. Move to a different region and check again. When entering a new region it can take the server almost a minute to fully recover. Usually quicker but give it a minute. You will get a sense of how things recover by watching the stats after a few TPs to different regions.

While there is a Packet Loss state in this panel, it gives a near real time value. The value in HELP is an average over time, which I think is more realistic.

Once you figure out where the problem is then you can work at solving it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.