Renting out land on my homestead... a waste of time ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello thank you for taking the time to look at this post i have a few questions for people who may have done this all before.

I am considering renting out parcels of land on my homestead it is forest/zen themed and i have put alot of effort into making it look good.

I noticed i hardly use any prims for what i do around there so i thought perhaps i should rent some space out heres the thing tho.

i dont want to enable terraforming as people really make things look ulgy when they build walls made of mountains around there piece of land.

i want renters to stick to the theme: i have some great prefab houses that fit in very well with the rest of the lands theme i dont mind them putting up new ones but i hardly want a beach house on a forest themed sim

lastly i wont be able to compete with other land owners on pricing: i dont own the homestead i rent from somebody so i will hardly have the lowest tier around.

A few postitives:

i will be online most times to help with any problems that arise

im not a total douchebag and i enjoy helping people.

So my question is given all the above facts should i even bother ? im not hurting for tier payments so i can just as well keep it all for myself. tho i would like to venture into a bit of land renting. any of you tried this before how did it turn out ?

I have never tried what you propose but it should not be difficult. You can write all of your restrictions and what is allowed in the Land Covenant. That way, it is available for anyone to read and see if it is the kind of environment they might enjoy; particularly the bit about giving them a home that fits your theme. Make sure you state allowable prims up front, any restrictions on ban lines or use of orbs, AND the no-terraforming bit. Good luck!

Hello Patrick

Great idea to rustle up a few Linden's ! You dont need to compete on price if you do not wish too...its really up to you..did you just want to earn a few dollars towards tier? Or make it a proper rental scheme?

Write yourself a covenant, so people can know up front your expectations of them before they rent. For example, no terraforming,no ban lines,and to stay within the theme of the exisiting land etc..think about all that youd like people who will be sharing your space with you, to do (or not to do!) Also as its a homestead, think about limiting the amount of people that can attend parties etc..they hold 20 (I think thats the current amount) If you have friends over and then your residents also have some..it could get tricky-maybe ask for advance noctice of impending social occasions where more than say,10 might attend?

I think its a splendid idea to offer a home (Ive done that on occasion also and some are really appreciative of the loan until they can find something appropriate) In our covenant we do state that homes are to be in theme with the resort, and if they are unsure to run it by us BEFORE they buy it-thus ensuring that the area remains as beautiful as it always is .

Good Luck

Fai

I actually do this on part of my sim. If you want to control how your sim looks, then YOU  buy the houses you want and set them up. I did this to keep the Victorian theme of my place consistent. I rented out all three extra places, and eventually I furnished them. They are rented out as furnished houses with 40 prims for extras, or I can remove part or all of the furniture for those that want more prims for their own stuff. I did this to keep my sim looking nice, but all three parcels have been filled and i have more that want to get in. Seriously thinking of expanding. I charge just a few L$ more than what it costs me in rent to the estate owner. I'm not making tons of money, but I am getting SOME of my sim paid for, as well as I control who my neighbors are and what the neighborhood looks like :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.