Second Life, Firestorm, Friends List Nearby Chat Issue

Draconis Ahren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So i've been using firestorm for the past week or two and a rather infuriatingly frustrating problem recently occured

where it shows only one person as online in the nearby chat, and it's completely random on who it is.

when in truth my friend's list has like maybe 5-10 people online. yet nearby chat doesn't want to display who's all online.

I've tried clearing my cache, resetting my settings, doing a complete un-install of Firestorm, and then re-install, resetted my router. absolutely nothing has fixed it.

i'm wondering if this is a more technical issue with second Life's servers, or if it's something else. Because, Firestorm has never once done this to me until last week.

image.png.4c04422002709900c368c72237e8ce44.png

Edited by Draconis Ahren

4 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure it's always been this way, but only "pretty sure" because I never use Nearby Chat to determine my friends' online status.

Instead, I separate Nearby Chat from the Conversations window, so I have one window for talking to people who are physically present with me, and another window for all my IMs. You can tear off the Nearby Chat window by clicking the little stack of pages in the upper right corner of the window.

Then, in the remaining Conversations window, you have a tab labeled "Friends". This will show all your online friends in boldface, and sorted to the top, unless you choose a different way of sorting them.

Here is what my two windows look like. It takes up more screen real estate, but it avoids the pain of constantly switching between Nearby Chat and IMs.

https://gyazo.com/c3c65c0f54c5b4c9d1f60c0fc8ff7cab

You'll also see that I have two IMs going, one a group chat for Firestorm Support, and the other a group chat for the Reign store group.

(I'm wondering if you've maybe torn off the Nearby Chat tab from Conversations by mistake. Look in your top menu bar in the Communications section for Conversations, and for Nearby Chat. Be sure both of them are checked! If you don't like my method and want to re-join Nearby Chat to the main conversations window, just click that little stack of pages again to re-dock it.)

P.S. - You can "tear off" and re-dock ANY of the tabs in the Conversations window.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.